May 02, 2024, 01:50:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

flhtcui ignition switch removal

Started by pricey13, November 16, 2008, 11:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pricey13

hello, needing some advice on how to remove 2001 ultra classic ignition knob/switch.On the 2001 model the whole knob does not turn,only the the key turns for ignition and steering lock.unlike other models where the whole knob turns.i have to do some handle bar adjustments.and fork oil change any help would be very appreciated. thanks.

pricey13

road-dawgs1

You sure the whole knob doesn't turn?  I thought they have been using that setup for quite some time....like since the early 90's, could be wrong though.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

eglideic

Are you positive about that?
I've owned a 2000, 2002, and now a 2003 Ultra and all had the same kind of switch and the whole knob turned on all of them.
You better take it to the dealer to find out what you have screwed up.

smoserx1

If you find out your knob does in fact turn as others have suggested, the procedure is similar to this:

Place the knob in the accessory position
On the bottom of the knob is a tiny push button.  This located just left of center at the knob’s rear.  Looking straight down at the knob from the top the tiny button would be about 7 o’clock.  Using a paperclip, tooth pick or other very small object push upward from below to depress this small button.  While pressing the button and keeping the KNOB in the accessory position, turn the KEY (not the knob) back to the left and PAST where it would normally lock, for as far as it will go.  It will go ¼ turn or further past lock.  The KNOB should then pull straight up & off.

Seems like I heard somewhere some international models behave as you describe, but all the ones I have ever seen, the entire knob moves to point at the various functions.

pricey13

G Day   have ignition knob off,this model did have a fixed knob 2001 only. 4 oneway srews , i phoned a dealer,he explained how to remove.  thanks again for your replys. pricey