May 08, 2024, 02:41:51 PM

News:

whats it worth

Started by biker4christ, July 21, 2009, 04:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biker4christ

guys got a 90 rk classic with around 400,000,fading paint,everything else is fair cond. what might it be worth ? if i can get a good deal it might make a good winter project

Phu Cat

400,000?   MILES???

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

biker4christ

yea ,im sure its been worked over some lol

blkfalc4

90 rk? rk wasn't introduced till 94.
In 90 what looks like an rk is the FLTS- electra-glide sport.
05 FXDWGI-97CI..10:1..DeweyHeads 80cc..TW54G Cams..ST 2-1..TTS..C/L..3.37:1

biker4christ

ok thats prob what it is then ,i dont know much bout the big harleys been on a sporty for quite a while ,but the ol dont much care to ride over 5-600 MILES on it although i could ride it anywhere.and i know if i can grab this on ,theres plenty help here ,thanks

BikerJim44

If he'll give you about $25.00 to haul it away you might be ahead of the game or at least pay for some of the gas to go pick it up. I'd say that you might want to consider a couple of winters and maybe a summer or two to tear it completely apart, redo the engine from bottom up with new everything, new wiring as I am sure the wiring is so dried and rotted that the electrical problems would be a nightmare in themselves. The frames on those weren't the best and would most likely need some work not to mention that it has the old bananna style brakes which are great trott line weights. All the hoses, cables and brake lines should be replaced as well as every seal and gasket as well as the swinarm bushings, etc, etc. If it were me I'd keep looking as there are much better bikes out there for short money that would cost you less and give you more to work with. Just my .02. Spidey.
You can ride my hoss, Ride my woman but don't ever ride my bike.

Scooterfish

Probably best to think about how much it would cost and how much you are willing to spend to make th bike road worthy. Your total cost would probably be lower to find a mid 90s EVO with lower miles.
Northern Indiana

Dennis The Menace

Thats an old bike with a lot of miles.  If it was well maintained and cared for, it may be worth paying something for.  Otherwise, if its a heap of metal, then its gonna cost a bunch to make road worthy, IMO.  As Jim and S-fish stated above.  Probably not worth the cost to do.  JMO.

menace

hardonthemerch

$3,500 - $4,000

Not being sarcastic, etc. Thats about what it should sell for.

seattledyna

if you are looking for a nice old EVO bagger I have this one with 50k miles for a really good price, :wink:

Princess Butt

Wasn't there a problem with frame rot on late 80's / early 90's baggers?

I'm remembering seeing one rotted in the frame tubes, below the rear swingarm mount, where it wraps down under the primary.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

RK101

400,000 miles I'd be thinking like Spidy, Not worth a second look.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Evo1

WOW! 400,000 miles, that's DAM impressive. As good as EVOS are, they won't go that far without major TLC. I'm also impressed with the owner or owners for doing what was necessary to keep it on the road for that many miles. My bet is that mechanically that bike is probably in reasonably good shape or it would not have made it to 400K, but without knowing it's history is a crap shoot. I don't know what your plans for it are, but as stated above you would most likely be better off with a newer bike with less miles, still a crap shoot though. No more than $3,000. Still it would be fun to show up on a bike with 400k while all the other riders are bragging about how much they ride.

hotroadking

I was gonna say about $2K which is the price for the Vin on the frame and cases of the engine.

If you are going to rebuild the engine (send to HD for refurb) then all the seals gaskets, primary bits, trans bearings etc then JMO by the time you get done you'll have another $5K in the bike..

Which gets you up to $7K Bet you could buy a low mile evo RK late 90's with low miles for that, probably even an early twin cam 00 to 02

Trade in on those  early bagger RK's is in that range.  So you could snake a better deal on a newer used bike.

I would'nt give more than $2K, too much work..

Clintster

I guess it would depend on overall condition and road worthiness.  You didn't say it was redone, that would be the way to get one unless you have a project in mind.  Some guys bikes at high mileage are more attended to and better serviced.  But that is excessive mileage for a less than a desireable year.  Does it have the guages above the triple tree.  If you can steal it or are really wanting that particular machine, you can steal late model evo's due to the economy.  That bike of Seattledynas, I winder how much, it probablty runs and has been well cares for...
Drive fast, take chances

kik

Blkfalc4, I didn't know they made a FLST EG sport? I thought it was an FLHS.

1990 Harley-Davidson FLHS Electra Glide Sport Value.
2-Cylinders
4-Stroke
1340cc
Suggested Retail Value $6815 The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the unit has been fully reconditioned and is in excellent condition. Mileage/condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above. This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the unit's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.

JK

Did somebody say frame rot?

seattledyna

Quote from: Clintster on July 21, 2009, 02:13:28 PM
I guess it would depend on overall condition and road worthiness.  You didn't say it was redone, that would be the way to get one unless you have a project in mind.  Some guys bikes at high mileage are more attended to and better serviced.  But that is excessive mileage for a less than a desireable year.  Does it have the guages above the triple tree.  If you can steal it or are really wanting that particular machine, you can steal late model evo's due to the economy.  That bike of Seattledynas, I winder how much, it probablty runs and has been well cares for...

Clint, I had been asking $8,500 for the 95 EVO, not much response at that figure, even though it is an exceptionally clean well cared for bike, to be honest with ya, I would take 7K if someone offered it....Anyone? :wink:

Jeffd

put another 600,000 miles on it and Harley might give you a new bike for it.  I think I read where some guy put a million miles on his harley and the moco gave him a brand new bike for it.

Ultrashovel

July 21, 2009, 06:02:21 PM #19 Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 06:07:05 PM by Ultrashovel
The 1990 "Peasant Model" Harley Touring bike was an FLHS. Up to 1992 the battery was patially into the right saddlebag and the oil filler was on the right side high. In 2003 they moved the battery to its present location under the seat and the oil tank went under the transmission. It had a flat dashboard with a tach and speedo and a few lights. IIRC, there was only one switch for the passing lights. Otherwise, it was rather plain. I had a 1993 FLHS. The early FLHS's up to 1993 had a silent recall on the front pulley for the belt. The locking area for the nut was insufficient to hold the pulley on. The fix was a new pulley and nut. I had a leak when the pulley got loose and they replaced the pulley, nut, main drive shaft gear and seals por nada. The 1994 bikes came with the new pulley and nut. I can't complain.

400,000 miles you say? It's worth $50 max for the bike and title. With that sort of mileage (if true, which is doubtful) all you're getting is a license to buy lots of parts. Remember, it's 20 years old and it's not a Knucklehead or a Panhead. It's going to need literally EVERYTHING!

calgary56

just over 21,000 miles a year, ... not too shabby at all
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

biker4christ

i would jump on it seattle ,but i gotta sell my hotrod chevy pick up truck first,thats  5000 ,if i had it now id come after it
thanks for the reply guys,seems a 90 isnt a good choice but im gonna keep lookin till i get my truck sold

JohnS_Rosamond

I generally agree with everything that has been said, I just wanted to correct the statement about the banana caliper.  The 1990 model had the standard teardrop shaped single piston caliper on each side of the Showa fork.  If the bike has been sitting and really has as many miles as you say, you're not going to get much for it.  To many people, the FLHS is an oddity anyway.  It's older and not as smooth looking as the road king.  People usually point at my bike and make a face and say "what's that?" - course, maybe they're just talking about me - I don't know.  Especially in this economy people are either not going to spend any extra cash, or they'll want it basically for free.  It depends on how badly you wanna keep the bike and what you're prepared to put into it.  The point about frame rot is especially important.  My bike had it (in the spots that the photo's show).  I was about to have it welded, when I decided to bite the bullet and get a new one (OEM).  The other thing that I see time and again, is people who never grease the pivot shaft.  The shaft rusts in place (even though the swing arm still pivots) and you end up never being able to pull the swing arm off ever again.  It's no fun (done it twice) pulling the swing arm and transmission out of the frame when they're still attached to each other.  From now on, I'm just going to tell people, "You better buy a new swing arm and a transmission case now."  I'm not F'in separating them ever again.