April 28, 2024, 08:37:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

softail belt change

Started by sam, November 16, 2008, 02:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam

looks like I'll be changing the belt on my '91. I can't use the normal lift to hold it up while I pull the swingarm because it rests on the shocks (the lift does) and I can't get to the shocks when it's on the lift. Ideas on how to support it so I can do this? I suppose I can clamp the front wheel and jack up the frame, but I'm not clear on the details.

A little help here?

Gonzo

I used a 2 foot length of 4x6. Rounded over 1 edge a little, and drilled a 1 inch hole at 1 end about 3 or 4 inches from the end, on the 6 inch side. Slide it in under the bike on the flat side, stick a bar of your choice in the hole, and lever it up on the rounded side. There ya go!
Gonzo

JBarrettB

No need to remove the swing arm...just the sleeve the pivot bolts thread into. Pull the bolts out far enough to slide the sleeve out but not completely out of the swing arm. Slide the new belt through and replace the sleeve.

JB   
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

surf

I put 1/4" plywood shims on top of the jack, just under the frame rails and that keeps the jack from touching the shocks. 

sam

Quote from: JBarrettB on November 16, 2008, 03:07:50 PM
No need to remove the swing arm...just the sleeve the pivot bolts thread into. Pull the bolts out far enough to slide the sleeve out but not completely out of the swing arm. Slide the new belt through and replace the sleeve.

JB   

Aha!!!!