Vance & Hines Big Shots Quiet Baffles Effect on Power

Started by hdrider47, November 16, 2008, 02:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdrider47

I haven't posted much, but have been reading this forum for years and still find it to be the best HD tech forum out there.  I do have a question about switching from the standard Big Shot baffles to the quiet baffles as far as how much reduction in peak HP and increase in low end torque would be expected with this change?  The bike is a 2007 Heritage Softail with 103 kit with flattop pistons, 204 cams. SE Performance Heads, and Race Tuner.  Current Dynojet 250 reading is 93.4 HP and 103.5 torque.  Thanks.   

FLTRI

I can tell you I just dynoed a Softail w/short shots w/small baffles and torque cones. It was down over 27hp to a std Thunderheader we installed because the power was so far down we had to eliminate cam timing and sumping.
Hope this helps to answer your question,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

crazycalvin

Short -Shots are not a performance pipes, are they?  The BSS should run better than the Short-Shots. 

FLTRI

I don't think either of these straight pipes are really performance pipes. the BSS may not cost as much due to the power chamber but the design is still a big compromise, IMO.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

crazycalvin

hdrider47

In case someone has the V&H BSS and was considering the quiet baffles, I did give the quiet baffles a try and am very happy with the results. The quiet baffles are built just like a Pro-Pipe baffle.  The sound is still loud but not as loud as the standard baffles and now is a deeper sound.  The bike was dynoed by same tuner and same dyno and now max HP is 90.8 and max torque is 106.  The low end torque is substantially improved from 2000-4300 rpm and as an example between 3000 and 3500 rpm there is a 10 ft-lb increase. Overall the baffle change worked better than expected.

Bob1320

Quote from: hdrider47 on November 23, 2008, 03:02:49 PM
In case someone has the V&H BSS and was considering the quiet baffles, I did give the quiet baffles a try and am very happy with the results. The quiet baffles are built just like a Pro-Pipe baffle.  The sound is still loud but not as loud as the standard baffles and now is a deeper sound.  The bike was dynoed by same tuner and same dyno and now max HP is 90.8 and max torque is 106.  The low end torque is substantially improved from 2000-4300 rpm and as an example between 3000 and 3500 rpm there is a 10 ft-lb increase. Overall the baffle change worked better than expected.

I put them on mine a few weeks ago and have the same results.   :smile:

Don D

One experience with the BS longs. 90/90 hp and a torque dip on 06 softail. changed to FatCat and went to 100/105 when retuned.