May 02, 2024, 08:21:27 PM

News:

SERT and the warmup cycle

Started by Princess Butt, July 22, 2009, 09:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess Butt

I have a 2006 Ultra, 95 incher with flat top pistons, SE 204 cams, SE air cleaner backing plate with a K&N element, and SE performance mufflers.

The bike runs fine when it's fully warmed up with a canned map from the SERT. However, it spits and coughs about halfway thru the warmup cycle, like it's leaning out early. I have incremented the warmup enrichment table, but it still does it, although it is much improved.

I have a question about the warmup enrichment table, and how it works. Does the ECM use the starting temperature as a starting point, and then just cut fuel back at a certain time based upon an average warmup, or does it wait until it reaches the next temperature step in the table, while it is running, to cut the enrichment?

In other words, is the table based upon elapsed time, or actual temperature readings?

The reason I ask is because this engine runs quite cool. My neighbor around the corner has a 2005, and I swear you could cook on the thing. Sorry, I don't have oil temperature readings, but I was thinking of dragging the cursed digital dipstick out just to get an idea what is happening.

Thanks for your input.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

FLTRI

Questions:
Does the bike cough while sitting still @ idle or are you referring to riding off on the bike before it is completely warmed?
Did the bike run fine and now has a problem? Or has it done this since the mods?
The mapping for the canned SE203 map will have some leans spots (as well as rich spots) with the SE204 due to timing differences between the two cam profiles.
Without measuring (AFR) what's going on it can only be guesswork.
Bob
PS - I believe warm-up enrichment works off engine temperature (during warm-up) and time decay (when hot restarted)
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Princess Butt

Sorry I didn't clarify, it's sitting and idling. It will get about halfway warmed up (about 50 degrees c.) and that's where the trouble starts.

I'm going to increment the map at that point again, hopefully it will straighten out. It seems to run fine otherwise; at least there's no lean popping once it's warmed up. Otherwise, I really like the way the bike runs.

It's always done this, since new. I had the dealer install the pistons and the cams, and it's always had that cough halfway thru the warmup. I'm just getting more annoyed with it now, almost 30,000 on it!
Shiny side up, rubber side down.