May 09, 2024, 01:03:46 AM

News:

Which Center Stand?

Started by shovel66, July 23, 2009, 02:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shovel66

Hello,
I'm looking into getting a center stand for my '04 FLHTI.  It has stock frame and suspension.  I've looked online at the ones from eGlide goodies, Rivco, and the EZ up.  All seem to be about the same and right around $300.  Does anyone here have experience with any of these or others?  Looking for honest opinions or experiences with aftermarket center stands for HD touring models.  I don't want ground clearance to be decreased.
Thanks!!

1966 FLH, 1972 FLH
2004 FLHTI

bogiediver

Take a look at this thread - I believe all you refer to are discussed there...

http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=13694.0

I have the Wheeldock EZ-Up - love it...

-bogie

stro1965

08ultra

EZ-up for over a year on my Ultra 2008, love it.

les

I've had the Rivco for about 8 years.  Has worked well for me.

marc

I'm a happy EZ-up owner.

Ditto...

shovel66

Thanks for all the great responses.  I even did a search before posting and somehow missed the above thread that was exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks Bogiediver!!  I just didn't want to try something new or something without good feedback.
Thanks again everyone.
1966 FLH, 1972 FLH
2004 FLHTI

HD_04Ultra

Just asking out of curiousity, why would you want to put a center stand on?

04_Ultra

shovel66

The biggest reason for me wanting one very soon is it takes up less room in the garage by standing perfectly vertical.  It will be much easier for me to park closer to the wall and easier to walk by.  Not much spare space in my garage.  Will also make it easier to perform some minor maintenance like checking tranny fluid, changing primary fluid and adjusting clutch pushrod.  (Without getting out the lift or jack). There are many other valid reasons, but the above are the most important for me.  To each his own.  I've been riding HD baggers since 1994 and have never had a center stand. 

Ordered the EZ up from Dennis Kirk the other day and should be at my house tomorrow.
1966 FLH, 1972 FLH
2004 FLHTI

HD_04Ultra

Great, all good and valid reasons.  Each of those is where I use my lift so I just never saw a need for a center stand.

BTW, IMHO bikes are more stable when placed on the side stand versus being placed on a center stand (larger area between the contact points when on the side stand).

Thanks for the response, you're right; to each his own.  I'll keep using my lift for those times where I need the bike upright.

04_Ultra