April 28, 2024, 07:03:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Question for Craig, again

Started by 04customking, July 25, 2009, 01:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MBSKEAM

just checked mine....
120 rear
118 front
L3 lienweber cam
about 9.5:1 comp....

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

04customking

Thanks Mike, mine should be about 8.5 to 1. I think mine is low but shouldn't be a starting issue I don't believe.
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

MBSKEAM

when mine was a 74"
it could be turn over by hand on the kicker...
it would start ALL the time, from 20F to 90+

3 primes cold and 1 kick to start......
1 kick hot

man I wish this was the case now....LOL

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

Little Al

August 11, 2009, 10:40:48 AM #28 Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:10:06 AM by Little Al
Jim I know you are getting frustrated chasing the problem so I wanna be clear for you so as not to have it distract you from finding your actual problem.

I do have 119-120 in both front & rear. I'm using stock pistons, stock rockers, solid lifters with aluminum pushrods set pretty tight (3 fingers to turn) stock points ignition & timer set with a light (timer fully advanced) with the timing mark 1/2 way between just entering rear of timing hole & center of timing hole. New rings & just a light hone before putting it together as the motor had been sitting about 5-6 years. She's got an S&S "E" and I'm using a replica 12 volt coil from NOS Parts. I'm not trying to twist the knife, but she's not yet taken more then 3 kicks to start, hot or cold.

hang with it, you'll find it, there are a lotta smart & willing to help guys here that will get you through it.

edited to mention that I have no idea what my cam is. it came in the motor and while I had it out I could not find a single marking on it anywhere!
Little Al

04customking

Thanks Al. The road king and I are going to upper New Hampshire for a long weekend this friday. Maybe I'll feel more like getting into it when I get back. Oh, did I mention Jack was going too? :wink:

Little Al

Me & Jack always travel together, well for the last 28 years anyway...

be careful, enjoy and attack when you get back.

one last suggestion, I've always found when chasing a really tough problem and I'm over thinking it, nothing beats a serious hangover for slowing down your brain to a more reasonable speed

Al
Little Al

Robin

04customking,

What ever you do, don't go to Craig's to work on your bike.  Its always like 1000 degrees in his garage!!!lol...

Robin

CraigArizona85248

Hey!  It's only 1000F degrees from June-September.  After that it cools off nicely.   :teeth:

04customking

That's funny. It's only like 500 deg. here and very muggy. I don't think I could handle the 1000 or 2000 even if it's "dry" air. I'll tackle this when I get back. Too frustrated now. I'm not so sure I do as good as you Al with the hangover thing. My mind doesn't work at all till that's gone.