May 09, 2024, 03:06:42 PM

News:

modifying seats ??

Started by 76shuvlinoff, July 26, 2009, 08:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

Not sure of this idea  at all so if I post it here first I'm not out any $$.
I turned the 76 back to a family friendly barge at a total outlay of $3.10 because I already had the stuff stacked in the basement.  Did some swapping for a sissy bar and the wife is comfy back there now.... However the seating is a bit of an issue for me.
The Mustang solo has always pushed me forward and now with the passenger pad on the back I get that "toe" on it right on my belt.  Plus the wife is just over 5'9" and she's up in the wind. I am wondering about cuttin the the cushion on my seat back plus removing that bulge on the front of the p-pad, maybe even taking it down an inch thinner to lower her a bit.
I can also raise the windshield about another 1.5"...  I'm already looking through it instead of over it.

I really don't want to wreck this Mustang combo .... maybe I better leave that to the pros.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

stroker800

July 26, 2009, 09:15:16 AM #1 Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:20:31 AM by stroker800
  I ran the same set up few years back,,,I can relate to your thoughts..I'm 6'2" so that "shove" foward made me too close to tank and bars,,,however I did like the "toe" in small of back,,,seem to support it better...I have recovered a few seats over time..I would take your time too drill out the rivets,,gently remove the vinyl off the foam,,draw out your shape too be removed and use hand powered tools,,,the electric carving knife takes a few tries too get use to...I have used a bondo or wood rasp to carve out areas..Certain foams will allow you to use a grinder type dics for final shaping..When putting cover back on I use a 3M spray adhesive..Just remember as material is removed you seams and lines off the cover will relocate,,,so your stud pattern might be moved towards the bottom of the seat.
Dave
These are 2 seats that I have modified,,the evo has a gel pack installed and new leather cover(mom made it) the shovel has an old 4 speed seat with fatboy cover on it reshaped foam as well..

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

76shuvlinoff

good work there stroker, bikes and the seats.

Just got back from an 80 mile loop with the wife on board. She did 70 before she asked to stretch her legs so I'm inclined to not cut her seat down.  As far as the wind goes I'm going to get her a better helmet, she's wearing my DOT 1/2 and it's too big plus she wants some ear covering. I guess I'll hold off on seat carving for now.

I'm only 5'8" and if I feel pushed forward by the Mustang you must've hated it at 6'2". I did use a couple of those two hole dash spacers to move it back about 3/4-1" and adjusted my highway pegs to stretch my legs more.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

monty101

Get you some leather off ebay that's black . Mark the seat where you want to modify it.Drill the rivets out, take the leather off the pad. Cut the piece out that you have marked. Put the leather cover back on with sheet metal screws. This will expose the foam you will need to remove. Remove all but a inch or so which you will leave to make that removed spot firm once you stitch in the patch you will make. Take the cover back off and turn it inside out and stitch in with black uphostery thread the patch making sure you keep it symetrical. When you stitch put the two sides together and stitch through them to create a seam. Not a difficult job. If you want piping you will have to get some piping and stitch the leather over it and slip the covered piping between the two sides you are stitching so the piping will stick out the outer side of the cover. Turn it back right side out and put it back on the seat securing it with screws to the seat pan.

flhswingarm

Only thing I'd add to this thread is adjust (if you're using a sewing machine) the stitches per inch down so you have fewer stitches per inch or the thread'll eat thru the material...... go to the original covering and measure how many stitch per inch............... also loosen the tension on the foot of the sewing machine.... use a 40 nylon/60 % cotton thread...not to be a know-it-all but my alternitive trade is upholstery.......oh yeah........ use a heavier needle in the sewing machine

good luck

monty101

actually I would hand stitch it.

MMOCGuy

Man the ride really looks great. Good job.

Of course you can modify the seat yourself and the other suggestions are good ones. I've done a bit of bike seat upholstery but it has been many years and I don't suggest doing it yourself unless you are not too picky on what the outcome looks like. Removing one inch from the height will not be a problem as you can reform the cover over it by pulling it tight all the way around and reconforming it with a heatgun. The big problem is that the cover is stitched to form fit over the foam padding. If you remove the "toe" from the padding, the cover will be too floppy to confrom properly to the "New" front padding so it would likely leave some sagging in the area of the "Toe". Just my 2 cents worth.

Hope this helps.

NormS.

76shuvlinoff

Thanks guys for the suggestions guys. I think I'm going to see if my other little adjustments will get me by.. for now.  After yesterday's ride I think  stroker is right about that bulge on the front of that rear seat actually giving a some support. I lowered my highway pegs to the point I can set my heels on the boards if I want to and and the position is a lot more comfortable. Been a lot of years since I ran this set-up.  After 80 miles yesterday the only complaint the wife had was she wanted a better lid.

Now I just gotta get reconditioned to all the motor noise I didn't hear before I put the wimpshield back on.   :embarrassed:
 - Ernest Hemingway