May 09, 2024, 05:37:09 AM

News:

1 Ultima tranny.... Destroyed

Started by fuzznut5197, July 26, 2009, 04:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzznut5197

I done killed my ultima 6 speed...  started hearing an occasional odd noise, then it was getting worse and more frequent... made it home and all 6 gears were working when I pulled in. Took the drain plug out and... no oil started flowing, lots if metal bits on the plug magnet. Poked the drain hole and a flood of metal and needle bearings were coming out.   :cry:

Mark222

Yikes, I was real close to buying the swap set for my 5 speed case.  So how did you treat her before this event?  We know how she treated you!

Mark

stroker800

Send it back for warranty,,see what gives with there service after the cheque clears..
Dave

fuzznut5197

Quote from: Mark222 on July 26, 2009, 05:02:37 PM
Yikes, I was real close to buying the swap set for my 5 speed case.  So how did you treat her before this event?  We know how she treated you!

Mark

I'm not going to lie, I beat the cr@p out of it with a 147 hp engine. Those needle bearings are most likely main (output) gear bearings, I should stop doing wheelies every 5 seconds.

speed limit

I am pretty hard on tranny`s myself, destroyed stock box and one with andrew`s gear`s, been having real good luck with Jim`s 6 speed gear set two year`s no problems and shift`s like a dream. Shift`s much better than my buddy`s baker O.D. 6 he has not had any problem`s just noisy and clunky shifting. Even though I run a Ultima engine I was leery about running there 599.00 transmission.
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

fuzznut5197

QuoteEven though I run a Ultima engine I was leery about running there 599.00 transmission.

This gear set "ate" a multitude of hardened needle bearings that were flying out of the main gear, and not one single tooth broke off of any gear. I would say that that's one tough gear set. The problem of the needles in the main gear is not limited to the Ultima, and twistgear has a fix for this problem which I would like to get done on a new main gear.