April 28, 2024, 05:11:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

lowering softail

Started by hbkeith, November 17, 2008, 03:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

decided to go with a springer frontend on a 86FXSTC i picked up,was thinking on a 2under springer,but do the rear lowering kits REALY lower the rear 2in ? dont wamt front lower than back,might affect handleing?

Trip

Damn right they do...in a heartbeat.

Mike52

Keith, if you lower the rear of a Softail 2", you're not going to have hardly any suspension travel left, going to make for a very rough ride when hitting minor bumps in the road, might as well make it a hardtail. Also remember, when lowering a Softail, you will lengthen the shocks.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Trip

I agree ..2" converts a sloptail to a ridgid frame damn near.....i like it.

Grayrider

My 97' Heritage has the 2.0" shock lowering kit. There is a small window of adjustment for the ride! About 5 turns on the nut. I normally do not bottom out unless it is a pothole or serious bump that I did not see! Normal riding still has some cushion!  Even with my 110lb wife on the back, in normal riding it does not bottom. I have bottomed with her on really bad crappy roads. Probably more than a stock ride, but the lowered ride is pretty sweet! The lower height is really noticable compared to guys I ride with. One with a 96' Heritage Nostalgia and the other with an 06' Heritage.   
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

Caper

Quote from: hbkeith on November 17, 2008, 03:53:36 AM
decided to go with a springer frontend on a 86FXSTC i picked up,was thinking on a 2under springer,but do the rear lowering kits REALY lower the rear 2in ? dont wamt front lower than back,might affect handleing?

If your gonna lower a softail 2" front and rear, ya better make sure you remember to slow down for turns,low for show....not for go!!!

stroker800

I have my softail (custom frame 35deree rake) with a stock springer and it lower the front end ,,,so I lower the rear.  I drag the pipes and the kickstand into the ground ,,,kinda makes for some scary corners. It does look cool lowered because nobody likes that dirtbike look.
Dave

HeritageSpecial

hbkeith-- I went thru this about 3 years ago with a quality adjustable lowering kit--Don't recall what make but it was all SS and provided for up to 2" of adjustment. Just had to remove the rear shock bolts and replace with the adjustables and repin it into the clevice, then adjust to your desire.

Well, after bottoming out all over the place at 1 3/4" I reset it to just on 1". Still looks good to me, gets rid of that "high rear fender" look, and still has a decent ride. Could probably go to 1 3/16" and still be OK...just.

Regards
HS

2009 FLHTCU "BargeGlide" Stage 2 / 1996 FLSTN Stage 3.

hbkeith

thanks for replies guys, the bikes only gona be a bar hopper,ive got bagger i ride mainly,i want that low slow for this bike, but its been 23 years since a owned a hardtail,roads in michigan are just to rough,i want a LITTLE cushion,