May 02, 2024, 11:11:14 PM

News:

Rocker Cover Gaskets - what brand?

Started by shadow, November 17, 2008, 06:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow

i've got a E78 flh & both my cyl rocker cover gaskets are leaking. Seems i can't get them to seal for very long. What's the best gasket out there to use that would help me seal these things?? I've seen them in .020 and .031 thicknesses. Any advantage to one over the other size??

Lew

The covers probably need to be surfaced to get them flat.  Very common to find these leaking because of this.  I've found after surfacing them they seal fine with any gasket even the plain paper type.
Lew   
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

shadow

lewy, i've had the covers checked & they were ok, but i'll check them again once i get it apart. I think the hold down nuts are loosening on me. I've tried the blue locktite but it doesn't seem to stand up with high temps

pappyfreebird

make sure yer studs are down n nawt pullin out..this also kin be a leakie prolem

76shuvlinoff

Best rocker gaskets I've used yet are James steel with the bead on them.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

hkd76

I've been using the Cometic MLS rocker box gaskets for a couple of years now.    I've been really happy with them, no leaks or weeping.    When I put the top end together a couple of seasons ago I used their top end kit.    Kind of expensive but no leaks or weeping anywhere.

Hazy

Yeah, like Pappy says make sure the studs aren't pulling. I also chamfer or enlarge the bolt holes in the rockerboxes at the bottom. Sometimes the studs are a little proud where they screw into the head and the rockerboxes can't lay flat.
Hazy