May 03, 2024, 11:26:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New Lambda based Fuel Tables for 2010 DBW touring bikes

Started by Doc 1, July 28, 2009, 07:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc 1

Yes the new DBW touring bikes for 2010 will be replacing the AFR tables with Lambda based fuel tables. The new calibrations will be a 218 level.
The VE tables will be calibrated in MAP (kPa) not throttle positions any more...this I find very interesting.
You TTS owners....update your software and you can read all about the tuning changes with the Lambda based tables in the Tuning Guide...I'm sure you will find this very interesting.
The auto industry has been using this Lambda system for years and it will be more accurate fueling for the Harley also, but, it is a bit awkward getting your head wrapped around a whole different way of looking at fuel values....no more AFR. Example; Stoitch with AFR values is 14.68, this is something we are used to looking at however stoitch in Lambda is 1.000. Any value higher than 1.000 is leaner than stoitch and any value lower than 1.000 is richer.
With this new system we will be able to get a more controlled Closed Loop area (the bias voltage tables will be gone) To V-Tune your bike the fuel table will be set at .981 not 14.6 any more. The value of .981 equals 14.4 afr.
While in closed loop you can set less loaded cells with a leaner value and the loaded cells with a richer value....its really cool. The Lambda values will range from 1.020=14.97 to .967=14.20 in closed loop (I think) and much richer values in open loop.
So you ask why the change...and that is a good question. With todays fuels (E10 and E85) stoitch changes....ie... the stoitch for gas as we know it is 14.68 however when using corn gas it takes more volume of fuel to produce the same amount of energy that gas does so E85 stoitch rating is 14.28. Here is where Lambda based values come in.....no matter what the fuel is stoitch is 1.000 = 14.68 for gas and 1.000 = 14.28 for corn gas. I believe we will be able to select a blend of fuel....Blend A or Blend B and not have to retune for these different volumes.
There is a lot to this Lambda stuff and knowing it was coming I did some research on it through the net last year so I'm ready....how about you guys? .....get to reading....lol
Doc

FLTRI

All I can say is if some tuners had problems coming to grips tuning SERT, SEST, TTS before, they may want to sell their dyno and find another way to make a living. LOL!
We're ready. Since we've got auto racing experience and Lambda is the standard there, we feel good about what's coming.
Steve Cole has been a great help as well.
Bob Lobenberg
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Herko

"Since we've got auto racing experience and Lambda is the standard there..."

:up:
A former life in the four-wheel world has paid me dividends. This is one good example. I still learn today from those currently there. Yes, looking forward to the Lambda TTS Cals. Steve, thanks for staying on top of things.

Doc, good post.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

nc-renegade

Quote from: Doc 1 on July 28, 2009, 07:39:55 AM
There is a lot to this Lambda stuff and knowing it was coming I did some research on it through the net last year so I'm ready....how about you guys? .....get to reading....lol
Doc

As I said in another thread, this is a much better method IMO.

Thanks for sharing the info!
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

Blackbaggr

I realize with the introduction of a new year model line that Steve and his Mastertune wizards are extremely busy playing catch-up BUT...is it possible to convert the 07 thu 09 to Lambda AND is that in the plans down the road....

Doc 1

Quote from: dsanchez on July 28, 2009, 11:17:16 AM
I realize with the introduction of a new year model line that Steve and his Mastertune wizards are extremely busy playing catch-up BUT...is it possible to convert the 07 thu 09 to Lambda AND is that in the plans down the road....

The 09 DBW Touring bikes have the capability of usin gthe 218 level calibrations, however, pre 09 I doubt you will see Lambda files used. All the Dyna's, Sproty's, Softails, ect for 2010 will still be using the 176 level AFR based calibrations....it's only the DBW units that will be effected.
Doc

Rider57

Trying to get to the dealer to get my OEM uploaded and sent to Steve for evaluation with the new software.
They called and said it's ready for pickup but it's a 3 hour drive. Here's hoping!
107ci, 408b, 10:5:1, Heads by Wes Brown, Thunders.

HD/Wrench

Just did my download, so who wants a free tune on the 2010 bike( you buy the tuner)  for me to test this out??? LOL  Time to read the info, delt with this in the past on autos so will see how much of a learning curve there is.

wavlovr1

Great! I have a great map in my stage II 103 2009 SG. Now all i need to do is convert it to a 218???? MeThinks this is gonna be a learning curve for sure..

jb

burgies08ultra

2013 road glide,2009 road king

Ardy

Oh GREAT..I just finally get to the point where I just barely understand what a good tune is and now some fangled Lambda Lambda Lambda crap! LOL.
Guns don't kill people.
Drivers on Cell Phones do.

TXP

This is not going to be as big a problem as some think. SEST can be tuned using AFR or Lamda, your choice. The Moco is using Lamda to develop all factory tunes. I had a good conversation with the SPX programmer at the Dealer Show in Denver over the past few days and they are moving forward with new software updates at an accelerated pace. They also have a new "Smart Tune" program in the software package. This is VERY similar to V Tune. Also, when sampling one cylinder, you can link the front & rear tables so both can be changed by the same percentage at the same time. The SPX guys are doing a good job paying catch up to Steve's TTS system. The TTS advantage remains simply because Steve's support is second to none.

Herko

Quote from: TXP on July 29, 2009, 08:13:21 AM
...SEST can be tuned using AFR or Lamda, your choice...

TXP.
For the SEST is there a particular Cal File series that will let one use Lambda.
I just updated my SEST to 2.002.0000...no joy for Lambda that I could find.
Could you elaborate on a file path to get there?
Maybe I need an SEST proficiency lesson.   :embarrassed:

Thanks.

TXP

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that you must buy a CD from a Dealer to get the 2010 software update. The other updares are done via the net. This is the case every year with SEST. The new model year update software always costs money. The VCI will also need updating but this is included with the software. Once you install the CD and update to 2010 model year software the Lamda, afr, table link etc. will be live as well as 2010 cal files. Hope this answers your questions.

Herko

Quote from: TXP on July 29, 2009, 10:30:13 AM
Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that you must buy a CD from a Dealer to get the 2010 software update.

Thanks, you have the p/n handy?
32111-10 maybe?

TXP

32111-10 is correct for the software. Cost is $29.95 Also Super Tuner Training DVD part # 32101-10 might be helpful. Cost is also $29.95. Both are available at HD Dealerships nationwide. I might add that I have no agenda here as far as promoting SEST over TTS or any other Tuning product. As long as its not a DFO type deal I tune most of the better  or at least the more popular tuning products, including TTS, SEST, TMax, PCIII, PCV, etc. As you can see I'm not even promoting my shop as I haven't mentioned where I'm from or who I am. Just thought I should put that out as well because some of the boards have gotten overly sensitive.

Ardy

"Here is where Lambda based values come in.....no matter what the fuel is stoitch is 1.000 = 14.68 for gas and 1.000 = 14.28 for corn gas. I believe we will be able to select a blend of fuel....Blend A or Blend B and not have to retune for these different volumes."

If I understand you correctly...no matter the octane the ECM in Lambda configuration will compensate for the differing grade of gas available? If I put 10% 87 octane in my tank the Lambda based values will adjust for that gas? If I put 91 octane in the tank it will adjust stoitch for that fuel?
Guns don't kill people.

Steve Cole

The ECM will not change for different fuels put into the bike. Lambda only says that 1.0 Lambda is the stoichometeric value for the fuel it was tuned on. If you change the fuel such that you change the soichometeric point the ECM does not know it. The O2 system is the same as before so all it measures is the free oxygen in the exhaust, not the fuel ratio.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

wavlovr1

Steve, I noticed that the sensors are now down close to the collector and they appear to be much smaller. Are they still basically the same sensors?

Thanks, jimbob

Steve Cole

The sensors do the same job as before and are close enough to the same to call them the same. The difference for the most part is they are heated sensors.

wavlovr1

Thanks Steve, so basically, I could convert to a lamda map at some point on my 09 sg using the existing sensors?

jimbob

Steve Cole

Yes, we have been testing the Lambda product for the 2009 for a long time working out all the bugs we can. We will release some base calibration for the 2009 Touring model only in the future. Then you all can try them out.

Ardy

So...What would the dyno tuning regimen look like using Lambda technology? What's the advantage over what is used now?
Guns don't kill people.

wavlovr1

Thanks Steve, if you happen to dyno an 09 stage II 103 with 255 cams, I'd sure love to test it for ya... ;D

Jimbob :up: