April 30, 2024, 02:38:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

"Sticking" in Fourth Gear

Started by BART, July 30, 2009, 06:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BART

I haven't had a chance to check anything yet, but I notice shifting from fourth gear into third that I have to "wiggle and twist" on the shift lever while trying to get the transmission to come out of fourth gear.  I was nearly stopped rolling before it came out of fourth gear.  Like I stated, I haven't checked for any binding, checked the linkage, etc. yet, but am looking for ideas. 

Thanks

BART

Pzokes

Maybe some clutch plates are sticking together after the bike has sat for so many years.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

BART

Sticking clutch plates is a good thought.  However I think I found the problem last night (more like early this morning!).  If I put the bike in fourth gear the shift lever doesn't want to come back.  If I push in on the bottom of he shiftr lever below the pivot area it works great.  It appears the shift lever is hanging up in the pivot area when it gets to that position.  It should be easy to fix. 

Thanks

BART

BART

See my post today titled "Foot Clutch Remains in the Engaged (Toe Down) Position" for an update.

Thanks

BART