April 28, 2024, 06:16:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Reassembly of 4 speed kicker cover, etc

Started by twincamzz, July 31, 2009, 06:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twincamzz

Finally got the key fitted for the starter clutch in my '61 4 speed kicker. Turns out it is 3/16" x 5/32" x 25/64" long. Just had to file my 3/16 keystock down some. Now comes the fun part...getting everything back together. I've been trying to find information on the procedure but still don't quite have the whole thing figured out yet. Somewhere I read that I have to turn the kicker shaft at least 90* to let the throw-out bearing (?) get into position as I ease the cover on, or something like that.

Got the Harley Davidson 1959-1969 Duo Glide service manual # 99482-69 on the way, but was wondering if y'all might be able to help me out with instructions or maybe scan them from a service manual if you have one handy.

In the meantime I'm headed out to the garage to see if I can get it figured out by myself.

TIA
not all who wander are lost...

twincamzz

Got it figured out. Finally rotated the kicker gear until the stop stud (?) was in the 7 o'clock position as seen looking from inside cover, lined up groove in throw out bearing with little bearing on starter clutch and got it back together. Rehooked my spring & installed the kicker pedal and all is well again.

even a blind hog will find an acorn every now & then...
not all who wander are lost...