April 27, 2024, 02:16:09 PM

News:

Cam Chest Covers.....

Started by ModelABob, August 01, 2009, 12:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModelABob

Are late Knuckle (41-47) and early Pan (48-53) cam covers interchangeable?  In other words will a late Knuck cover work
on an early Pan that has a shovel top?   :smileo: Thanks in advance... :smiled:

AMF/Ride & Shoot Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

CraigArizona85248

Functionally the 41-47 eight rib cover and the 48-53 eight rib cover are the same with the exception of the oil passage for feeding the top end on the 41-47 cover.  So if you are wanting to used this on a panhead lower w/ shovel top end, you can get the top end oil supply from the cam cover.

Just as an interesting note (from Palmer's book) the very early 48 cam cover was basically a 41-47 cover with a steel screw-slot plug closing off the top end oil hole.  A little later into the 48 model year (used until mid-48) the cam cover came with a steel plug pressed into the top end oil hole (I have this cover on my panhead).  Finally in mid-48 they had used up all the cam covers that had already been drilled for top end oil and the cover came with the top end oil hole left undrilled.

-Craig

ricochet

I used the later smooth pan cam cover on my knuck by drilling out the same passage as used for top end oiling but towards the back edge of the cover so that it exits in front of the oil pump.  Then routed the line around behind the pushrod covers so they showed very little when painted black.

ricochet

ModelABob

Thanks for the info guys!  So, the 41-47 Knuck cover could also be used on an early (48-53) Pan.  That has early internal
oiler jugs/heads by simply blocking off the oil line nipple on the cover :smiled: As always, thanks in advance.

AMF/Ride & Shoot Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper