April 27, 2024, 01:11:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Replacing an Electronic Speedometer with a Mechanical

Started by TangoFoxtrot, November 01, 2008, 05:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TangoFoxtrot

November 01, 2008, 05:32:55 PM Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 05:37:23 PM by TangoFoxtrot
The speedometer went out on my 1996 FXSTSB.

On the old board I posted the question if it was possible to go retro on my newer bike:
http://groups.msn.com/HarleyTechTalk/evo1340.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=1398205

I got a lot of good info. Thanks you guys.

I recently tried updating the old post with pictures of the progress so far but could not get pictures to post over there. I'm glad this forum is here now!

So here is where I am right now, part of the way done:

I don't have a shop or garage space but do have an old patio I could setup a jack on:

Pulled the front wheel axle bolt and washer off:

Pulled the front wheel a little forward:

Here is the right side. The manual says you have to dismantle the brake before you can move the wheel. That's one of the reasons I've waited so long to do this and as it turns out I don't have too:

Axle bolt and a washer from the right side:

Here's the speedometer drive unit and the drive seal:

Seal in place:

Remove the spacer:

Install the drive unit:

The wheel is ready to go back into place:

Install axle with washer back in place:

View of drive unit in drive slot on wheel:

I reused the old axle bolt because I'm not sure of what the correct position for the drive unit is. I'm just winging it for now. I will put on a new bolt when I know for sure. I torqued it to 65 ft lbs.

That's the work I have been dreading and part of why I've taking so long to get to it. I thought it would be harder. It turns out this was the easy part.

The speedometer housing unit is different for mechanical units but I thought I'd try and adapt the old one since a new one is around $100. The speedometer does not fix quite right so I will get a new housing, but thought I'd install it as is for now so I can ride.

When I went to install the housing there was a grey electrical box in the way of the larger mechanical unit, right where the speedometer cable is supposed to connect:

So I removed it and there is a metal bracket underneath:

So I take out the bracket and see a hole for the speedometer cable:

I reinstall the housing bracket I took off at the same time as well as another bolt up front:

I loosened the right side gas tank to move the greybox electrical connector back, reconnected it, and tucked it under the housing. It's not a tight fit and it's not an ideal setup but it's the best I could do for now:

Here is the speedometer and housing in place:

I still have to figure out where to attach the speedometer cable to the frame and springer fork on the way down to the drive unit. I have it loose right now because I don't know. I need to see some more pictures of them.

Everything is working great. It'll probably leave it as is until be next spring, then add a new instrument housing to hold it together properly and allow me to attach the odometer reset knob.

So far this project has been a success. ;)

ricochet

I did the same thing to the front girder on my knuckle chop at the same time as setting up a disk brake assembly.  The hardest part was determining what drive unit to choose from based on the speedo to be used and what side of the wheel you want to mount it too.  It helps to know a model and setup you want to copy sort of.

ricochet