April 28, 2024, 12:45:58 AM

News:

gasket sealant

Started by ST40, November 17, 2008, 11:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ST40

Any one ever use gasket sealer such as Hondabond.  I think Yamaha has a similar product.  I'm going to have to re-gasket my cyl. bases and will do other gaskets at the same time, of course.   Thanks        Marty        :smiled:
Marty

stray

Hondabond and Yamabond are not products that you want to use as a gasket sealer - I use hylomar, gasket shellac, or some other gasket dressing.  The Hondabond or Yamabond I only use as the case sealer between the cases themselves.  My .02.
Joe

stroker800

I like to use a permatex copper gasket spray on base,rockerbox....well pretty much any black paper gasket.
Dave

76shuvlinoff

I'm currently using the coated Cometic steel cyl base gaskets and no sealer. They've been on one season (unfortunately I only managed 3500 miles this year) no weeps, no leaks.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

tomcat64

ricochet

I would use and highly recommend Yamabond 4 for all gaskets or surfaces except for the head gasket or other high heat applications.  The stuff is awesome.  There are differences in types offered under each marque.  For instance Yamabond has at least a number 4 and 5 which are quite different.  I think 5 is more like a hardening gasket cement whereas 4 is the really sticky buy pliable light grey goop.

ricochet

ST40

Thanks for your opinions.   Being a power equipment dealer, I use a lot of Hondabond on Honda engines for their valve cover gaskets.  (their valve covers get bent easily-real light weight aluminimum)    They don't use a gasket, just Hondabond sealant.   The stuff seems good,  hard to remove.  Open to more suggestions.     Thanks          Marty
Marty

76shuvlinoff

I have used Gaskacinch  a time or two on paper with good luck.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

randallwhitman

When I had my super big bore motor built, it was assembled with no base gaskets under the jugs.....builder used Yamabond.  When I had to do a top end rebuild myself, the Yamabond came off very easily and I used it when it got reassembled.  Never leaked or weeped one drop.  Great stuff for THAT use.   :up:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

Pzokes

ThreeBond makes a similar product to Yamabond, but the price is much cheaper.  I've noticed no difference in that product's sealing ability. 

I use Gasacinch on parts that have a good gasket, like lifter blocks.

There's miles to go before I sleep.

ModelABob

I use good 'ol Aviation Permatex (thinned a little with denatured alcohol) in the tub with the applicator brush top.  It was recommended by an ace mechanic I knew and I've used it every since the 70's.  A lot of times I'm able to reuse the old gaskets too.  On the head gaskets I use silver or aluminum paint.  For the record:  I don't build "monster" motors or "space cadet" super cycles.  I just keep my 'ol Pan and new (to me) '94 Softail plus a couple of antique cars running. :teeth:

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper