April 28, 2024, 03:11:03 AM

News:

Dave Mackie Cam

Started by fatboy98, November 17, 2008, 12:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatboy98

Just had a Dave Mackie cam (bolt in) installed in my 98 Fatboy. New s&S lifers, cam bearing, and adj pushrods. Cam seems to come on around 3,500 rpm (I am guessing no tach). Anyone else running one of these?

gryphon

Unless you got the Mackie 595 or 625 I would really expect it to come on a lot sooner than that with their intake closing times.

gryphon

Sorry, didn't read closely enough. Since your cam is a bolt in you likely got one of the .500 lift cams. Both have reasonably early closing times.

fatboy98

I was originally thinking of an EV-27 but the closing time was close and the wrench recommended it. Still not sure I am going to like. Seems to come on kind of late.

Hillside Motorcycle

We tested both(at the time) .500 cams of his about 10 years ago, even with an "E" pipe.
We stay with Bob Wood grinds.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

TheSwede

Yes fatboy,,,Your cam closes at 38 degrees
read the encl. file and your feelings is in the ballbark,,
the only way to let the cam come in sooner is stuffed up exhaust,,
that prevent backpressure,,that is the disturbing factor
with late closing cams. Mikuni with Joe Minton knows this fact
that many backyards mechanics try to ignore.

Best Regards
TheSwede

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

fatboy98

Swede, hey thanks for the article. Spent the afternoon yesterday riding, great day mid 60's no wind (unusual in Kansas). Amazing change in the bike with the new cam, not as as much power down low but a big kick in the pants at a higher rpm level. Again depends how you ride. Seems like the EV-13 was close to stock and the 27 close to the DM cam I have. Think I will ride and enjoy. I think some different pipes and a little carb work will help also. Thanks again