May 03, 2024, 09:05:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

power commander 3 ?

Started by hotbo, November 17, 2008, 12:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotbo

my uncle has a 06 deuce,he is wondering if he has the wrong box on it?the box he got says from 01-05 models and his is a 06 is there a difference in them :idea:the reason im asking when he had it tuned last year the guy tuning it asked what power commander he had on it b/c it was throwing out some weird data :idea:he asked him if it was for a bagger if that means anything.

he had alot of  problems tuning the bike.the bike at the time was sumping bad he fixed it and never had it re-tuned.the bike is way down on power in our opinion .ill give you a run down of the goodies

dan vance heads-1.90 intake ported heads
95 inch
k-b flat tops
.030 cometic h.g.
t-header
stock throttle body
a/c is a kuryakyn high five

cams are 37bs with compression set to 9.8-1

the bike takes forever to warm up and just is a real turd after the sumping got fixed it ran better and he was alittle happier.but it is really starting to bother him. :horse:

is this the wrong commander?thanks guys for any help.he wants to figure this out before he spends any more money on a tune.travis :teeth:

03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

hotbo

FLHTCUI05

Go to the Power Commander website to check.  I have an 05 Ultra and have the PC3USB on mine. Not sure if 06 bike requires a different one.

Valley

The 02-06 tour pc's are all the same. Do you know what version of firmware the pc is running? What kind of #'s were you getting?  ("it was throwing out some weird data " what is it doing?)

PC_Hater

The softails use a different PC3 USB to the tourers.
So if he really does have a touring PC3 on his Deuce I can well imagine the data is looking a bit strange!
I have no idea if it is an easy work-around or a first class PITA. Might even need the proper softail PC3 for all I know.

(an edit function! how nice is that?!)
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

hotbo

well talked to buddy at rpm cycles in okc the guy that tuned it last time,very good imo :wink:he said the only problem with the commander was it had a touring map downloaded in it when he first started last summer.the touring commanders wont plug into the softail ecms he said so it doesnt matter. :cry:

the numbers were terrible 76 -88 thats just sickning :horse:we thought it was due to the sumping.but he said the sumping did not show up on the graph that bad :idea:

we fixed the sumping and he said it ran alot better,but has never re-tuned. i rode the bike last month and it is a real turd,i can walk away from him packing double at any gear or speed,kinda makes us wonder whats going on. :idea:

the bike starts good sounds good just no guts.he is going to take it back and put it on the dyno in a few weeks and see what it says?after that if it doesn get any better we are going to be selling alot of stuff :sink:

Valley

Quote from: PC_Hater on November 18, 2008, 08:41:36 AM
The softails use a different PC3 USB to the tourers.
So if he really does have a touring PC3 on his Deuce I can well imagine the data is looking a bit strange!
I have no idea if it is an easy work-around or a first class PITA. Might even need the proper softail PC3 for all I know.

(an edit function! how nice is that?!)
The softtail and tour pc are both the same other then the softtail sends you a deeper fender tray and the wiring length is a little differant. I've used both on either bike.

hotbo

okay thanks valley :up:we have no idea why this thing is a turd :idea:like a guy said some are turds some arent,lol!!!!! :smilep:

Valley

Do you have a dyno chart? It might help. :wink:

hotbo

did have it was posted on the old tech site :wink:it sucked bad and we are still up in the air as to why this bike runs this bad.the a/f line was good on the dyno tune,the guy at rpm tunes alot of bikes and he was just blown away at how poor this bike perfromed :down:.when i talked to him this morning he said that the sumping wasnt all that bad or it would have shown up on the chart more than it did so he thinks even with a re-tune if needed and re-run it wont improve much :cry:

PC_Hater

Have a look at the HP loss in the drivetrain thread by RKC03 in 'general'. Perhaps the motor is working very well but something terrible is going on in the primary or gearbox?
What if there is an air leak on the inlet manifold or something? I once went a size up on main jets only to discover that I was just compensating for an air leak!

(interesting that the PC3 for softails and tourers are 'the same' with a few minor physical differences to give different part numbers. I'll have a good look at the canned softail 2:1 maps)
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Faast Ed

QuoteI'll have a good look at the canned softail 2:1 maps)

The maps will be different, the main unit is the same.

As Valley said, they come with a deeper tray for mounting purposes on Softails (so they fit under the seat), that's why the different part numbers.
≡Faast Ed>