I must be doing something wrong while collecting data.........

Started by Cooner, August 02, 2009, 08:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooner

.............I have ridden the bike on the weekends (I have collecting data and vtuned about eight times), collecting data, vtuning and the majority of the cells are still yellow or red after doing a vtune.

I have ridden for 45 minutes to an hour each time, I have tried different rpm's in different gears and tried staying in one, third gear, and accelerating from 50 to 90+ and the cells still do not change much.

Should I be doing something differently?

Sorry, bike is an 07 Fat Boy, stock heads, stock 96 ci, Wood 6 cams, V&H Longshots, I started with a 176 with the A/F set so that it is in closed loop mode.

Thanks.

TIA, Mark in the Big Easy

HarleyFranco

Mark,

After you have collected the Vtune data, are most of your cells green in the view that you see?  If they are and you have merged a good data run with your map you should see improvement.

Frank

Doc 1

Quote from: Cooner on August 02, 2009, 08:48:46 AM
.............I have ridden the bike on the weekends (I have collecting data and vtuned about eight times), collecting data, vtuning and the majority of the cells are still yellow or red after doing a vtune.

I have ridden for 45 minutes to an hour each time, I have tried different rpm's in different gears and tried staying in one, third gear, and accelerating from 50 to 90+ and the cells still do not change much.

Should I be doing something differently?

Sorry, bike is an 07 Fat Boy, stock heads, stock 96 ci, Wood 6 cams, V&H Longshots, I started with a 176 with the A/F set so that it is in closed loop mode.

Thanks.

TIA, Mark in the Big Easy

One thing I see that riders do wrong and that's going on and off throttle quickly....when you do up and down throttle running the Accel and Decel tables are activated and this kicks the ECM out of closed loop (this is why I suggest turning the Accel and Decel tables off during V-Tune) so your not gathering the information you think you are. Go easy on the throttle....keep the throttle still while the rpm's rise for 5 to 6 seconds and then move the throttle a little more and hold it there for another 5 to 6 seconds. Use different gears so rpm's will be varied.
The other thing that concerns me is the amount of time your riding....does your lap top record all that time without the battery going dead? Usually two to three 30 minute rides will do the trick.
I also recommend doing a 02 sensor data test to see if your sensors are in good working condition.
Doc

Don D

Cooner

Thanks Don.

One thing I have been doing wrong is letting off the throotle rapidly and allowing the bike to slow down via coasting and than jumping on it again.  Up and down.

And not changing gears.  I was holding it in third and going from 60-90, up and down.

I am headed out again.

I do have an older laptop but I ride for about 45 minutes and the battery is still good when I get back home to do all the tuning.

I will check the manual to find out how to check the sensors.

Not many green cells, 26 green mostly between 2750 at 10 TPS to 4500 at 30TPS.

TIA, Mark

Doc 1

Quote from: Cooner on August 02, 2009, 12:58:37 PM
Thanks Don.

One thing I have been doing wrong is letting off the throotle rapidly and allowing the bike to slow down via coasting and than jumping on it again.  Up and down.

And not changing gears.  I was holding it in third and going from 60-90, up and down.

I am headed out again.

I do have an older laptop but I ride for about 45 minutes and the battery is still good when I get back home to do all the tuning.

I will check the manual to find out how to check the sensors.

Not many green cells, 26 green mostly between 2750 at 10 TPS to 4500 at 30TPS.

TIA, Mark

Mark one more thing I didn't mention....when you wack the throttle open the kPa exceeds 85kPa and anything above 85kPa is ou tof closed loop so your not getting any information there either. 
Zero out the Accel table and the Decel table too....you will gather a lot more information that way.....just don't forget to tunr them back to the orginal setting when the tune is done.
Doc