May 09, 2024, 02:32:45 PM

News:

Front cylinder base gasket

Started by 58panman, August 02, 2009, 03:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58panman

I took the 58 out today to put some miles on the rebuild (new cam, tappets and tappet blocks) she ran strong. When I got home I  tweeked the idle. I shut her down and I noticed sprayed oil on the forward primary cover. Fired her up and it sounded like one of the hydraulic tappets had collapsed and noticed that she was shooting oil out of the forward cylinder base gasket. Before I tear the motor out do you guys have any ideas why the gasket would have blown? I hope I'm hearing a collapsed tappet.

Thanks, Tony

stroker800

How long ago was the gasket installed,,,could be have eatin the gasket for awhile now and let go today...Tear head off and see,,
Dave

58panman

Dave,

When I had the top end rebuilt in 02 the mech installed fire rings but they leaked around the oil passage so he removed them and installed good old paper gaskets and hot torqued them.

Tony

PNSHR

Had my motor totally rebuild with S&S parts. New engine casing, pistons, bore, the lot.
Mechanic shop known to be one of the best.
5000 miles and I had a cylinder base leak as well. Front cylinder. Took it off and the thin paper gasket had been been slightly misplaced when the cylinder was put on I guess. When looking closely I could see the tear in the gasket from the outside and when running it was evident where the leak was.
I guess they are vulnerable those thin paper gaskets.
Luckily the job of changing it isn`t all that much, if that is your problem.
PNSHR

CraigArizona85248

The sound you are hearing could just be the pressure escaping from the bottom end since the base gasket is leaking.  No need to pull the motor.  Just remove the head and cylinder.  You mentioned "fire ring" gaskets.  I've never heard of fire ring base gaskets ... I guess I've not been paying attention.  I just use the plain paper gaskets from James.

-Craig

58panman

Craig,

Thanks for the info. You're right, the fire rings are probably on the head I'll check when I pull it off. I picked up the gaskets today from my local Harley dealer, I was surprised they had so many in stock. I'll probably get at it this weekend. What a day, blew a gasket just when I was having fun getting used to the apes.

Tony

stroker800

When my motor guy did my base he used what looked like a grey thick paint(yamabond) I think...never leaked,, but I had to take down motor due to my mistake,,will use paper for reassembly,,,anyhow I have used paper base gaskets in my shovel and I spray them with a copper gasket spray made by permatex. I never had a leak on my shovel...
Dave

ricochet

I'll tell you if you use Yamabond on those base gaskets and all surfaces are clean and dry when applied it should never leak.  The flexible light gray stuff is excellent.  Just thinking out loud but with another persons help could one lift the cylinder and head as an assembly just high enough to clear the cylinder base studs, cut a gasket and install with Yamabold being certain to mate and seal the cut gasket edges well?  Maybe make the cut at a diagonal.  Is there enough room to lift the front head that high?  Rear is certainly not possible.  They make o-ring seals in many applications with rubber or neoprene by cutting rolled material to length and gluing to make the ring.

ricochet

Pzokes

If you have Tiawan cylinders, I haven't had a set that the bases were true/flat.   I've always had to dress them up a little.  I've been unhappy with the quality of a lot of base gaskets, and I have been using Genuine Harley Shovelhead base gaskets and cutting the Panhead oil feed hole in them.  I've been thinking about having http://coppergaskets.us cut me some base gaskets for my next rebuild.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

ModelABob

The front cyl base gasket on my 65 Pan has been leaking longer then I can remember.  The leak must be on the right side behind the front lifter block.  While running/riding the leak snakes around the front of the block trails down the cam cover
and lubes the side of the bike.  To staunch it I make up a little "Tampax" out of a piece of heavy paper towel and wedge it behind the lifter block/cyl base.  "Wa-la"... no more leak....at least for a while and then time for a new Tampax. :embarrassed:   One of these days I might add a short piece of string and see if anybody notices it. :smiled:

AMF/Ride & Shoot Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

grunt

Quote from: Pzokes on August 04, 2009, 05:09:12 PM
If you have Tiawan cylinders, I haven't had a set that the bases were true/flat.   I've always had to dress them up a little.  I've been unhappy with the quality of a lot of base gaskets, and I have been using Genuine Harley Shovelhead base gaskets and cutting the Panhead oil feed hole in them.  I've been thinking about having http://coppergaskets.us cut me some base gaskets for my next rebuild.

I had Lani Visconti from coppergaskets.us make me up a special copper gasket for my front head on my pan on the intake. Very reasonable  and hell of a nice guy.He is from Arizona by the way....
"Pain is weakness leaving the body"

MBSKEAM

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

grunt

"Pain is weakness leaving the body"