April 27, 2024, 12:32:21 PM

News:

OT- Hug your kids & tell 'em you love 'em

Started by -JC-1, August 02, 2009, 07:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-JC-1

Saturday afternoon my 2nd oldest son was out riding his sportbike with a group of riders-30 or so-
Most of these guys all ride together whenever they can, and there are also other riders who join from time to time. Their level of experience varies of course, but most of the regulars are very safety conscience and don't tolerate the crazy stuff that we all have seen. My son is 25 and has been riding since he was 10, he has bought and paid for 3 of his own bikes, the first 2 he bought used , worked on himself , and then saved up enuf to buy his first new bike this spring.  It was his pride and joy, and I enjoyed sharing that experience with him.
He was hit from behind by a newer rider at about 45. He doesn't remember falling, only sliding, and he said he was trying to protect his head by using his hands and arms to shield himself as best he could. His helmet was unscratched. The other rider was unhurt.
He got up and looked down at his ankle, which was at a 90- he had dislocated it.
Laid back down, and the first one on the scene was an off duty fireman who started first response.
My son's first call was to me, and then to my wife and daughter.
In the emergency room they set his ankle, and did the ct scan which showed no internal, spinal, or head injury, and only 1 broken bone, his pinkie toe.
It took 3 nurses 3 1/2 hours to scrub his skin where the road had ground his clothes into him.
It is now Sunday nite, he is doing much better, the plastic surgeon said he will not require any skin grafts, and while painful and baring any infection, he will heal.
His ankle has some bone fragments in the joint that showed up in the 2nd ct scan today, the surgery is tomorrow.
He was very lucky- and we are all so grateful that his injuries were not more serious.
I don't know the name of the first reponder, but I would like to Thank you, if we ever meet.

Thank God

I'm hugging my 4 kids, my wife, 2 dogs and anybody else close to me right now- we are the luckiest people in the world
04 FLHT-S&S 124-Baisley-640ez-xxx super g-IST-02-FXST 103 NRA Patron SAF Life

wayzalot

WOW JC glad he will be ok.  You never know when your life will change forever.  Thank you for the reminder.  I will pray for a speedy and complete recovery.
"My life is based on a true story"

crazy joe

Glad it all work out and a speedy recovery to your son.

ThumperDeuce

I am glad that it wasn't more serious.  It brought to mind a couple of ideas presented in some of the road racing books I've read.  The first has to do with training your body to relax completely if you fall.  Racers actually practice letting their body go completely limp while off the bike.  The other idea has to do with if you fall don't try to get up.  You will be injured less severely if you are run over while on the ground as opposed to being knocked down and then run over.  Just a couple of ideas to think about.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

nc-renegade

Quote from: ThumperDeuce on August 02, 2009, 07:55:02 PM
I am glad that it wasn't more serious.  It brought to mind a couple of ideas presented in some of the road racing books I've read.  The first has to do with training your body to relax completely if you fall.  Racers actually practice letting their body go completely limp while off the bike.  The other idea has to do with if you fall don't try to get up.  You will be injured less severely if you are run over while on the ground as opposed to being knocked down and then run over.  Just a couple of ideas to think about.

I agree with both of those strategies from my experence.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

seattledyna

Phu Cat

Yep, coulda beek ugly (uglier!).  This is the reason I like to stay at the back of the pack and your son probably will inj the future.  Glad he's gonna be OK.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

CndUltra88

JC, Glad to hear that he will be ok and that his riding Angel was with him that day.
Yup, take a deep breath and Hug them when ever you can.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Dennis The Menace

JC, glad it wasnt worse for you and your family, and especially for your son.  Its easy to take for granted our time here, and figure we will be here tomorrow.  Like you, I am thankful for my family and pray for them daily.  Ya never know when something may happen to them, or to one of us.

menace

70weight

The good Lord was watvhing out for your son. Hate to hear he was injured but damn glad he's going to be ok!
Can't drink all day if ya don't start in the mornings.

texaskatfish

Jc short of a clean 'walk away' that's about the BEST bad news a parent can receive!

kneemail's on the way for a rapid and complete recovery...............
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

marc

Wow...Glad he is OK...That is one of the reasons we do not do group rides anymore...Some people just scare me...

Bladesmith

Best of luck to your son,praying for a speedy and complete recovery....As a father of a 25 year old who also rides I can only imagine how you feel...
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

Biscuit

JC, from one parent to another, thank God your boy is okay. 
"I do all my own stunts".

CraigArizona85248

Hope your son heals up fast JC.  Man... I almost hate opening a thread with at topic like that.  Parents worst nightmare is to lose a child.  I'm glad your story was not tragic.

-Craig

-JC-1

August 03, 2009, 07:59:37 PM #15 Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:06:31 PM by -JC-1
Today was a very good day- the head ortho surgeon came in this morning and said no surgery- the bone chips were on the outside of the ankle joint and the joint itself looked good- the chips were small enuf that he felt they posed no threat to the healing process, and considering how well the structure looked, recovery should go well.

As I type our son is home, and we are all well, and humbled, and thankful, and relieved.

After I posted this thread last nite I almost came back and deleted it because I didn't want to come off as looking for sympathy, my only intent was to try and remind some, because I realized I needed reminding myself too how precious life, health, and happiness is.

This forum, and in particular its members,  has been a wealth of knowledge in many ways-

THANKS TO ALL - and here is to better days ahead      :up:

04 FLHT-S&S 124-Baisley-640ez-xxx super g-IST-02-FXST 103 NRA Patron SAF Life

Panzer

It's all been said by the others 4 me.
                :up:  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Admiral Akbar

Joe,

Good to hear that they don't have to hack though I've personally been under the knife for broken / amputated stuff 6 times. Parents got used to it though most it it was after I moved out.. I do feel sorry that they had to put up with it.. Now I don't feel comfortable in groups bigger than 3 or 4.. When the groups are big I prefer to be the last guy.. Been taken out being up front.. Only broke my right hand on that one..  :emsad:    Max

Babygirl73

Good To know he is ok JC,And it wasnt worse.Man upstairs was looking out for him thats for sure :up:

And I hug and Kiss my boys every day and night and let them know I love them...One thing I cant do is go to sleep , without them knowing I love em :up:
Babygirl AKA Gin