April 27, 2024, 09:48:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

cam bearing removal - puller?

Started by andyxlh, August 02, 2009, 08:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyxlh

Hello folks,
I have an '89 xlh which I'm doing a top end rebuild on. I know, I know, it's an evo, but one of the early 4 speeds. The cam bearings in the case are the same as the ironheads - does anyone know where to get a cheaper puller than the $120 Jims one? Is there a generic one which does the same thing? I have the puller for the BT evo engines but that is too big.
Also for bearing installation I guess it's just put them in the freezer and then use an old cam to tap them in to the cases?
cheers
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

jmanjeff

this is what i use

It is 40 bucks Here
and you can use it for more then just cam bearings
1957  Sportster

eglideic

Go to AutoZone. You can use one for FREE with their loan a tool program.

andyxlh

Hello Folks,
Thanks very much for the help. I'm in Sydney australia so Autozone probably won't lend me one, but what a good system!
Jeff, where did you get that setup from? can they be mail ordered? I have been to a few tool shops here looking for just such a thing and can't find it. Do you know the manufacturer and part number?
cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

jmanjeff

click on the word Here in the above post
1957  Sportster

andyxlh

Thanks Jeff,
I have emailed them to get a freight quote. Looks like a great set, funny I haven't been able to source it here...
cheers
Andy

FSG

Andy, check http://www.autotools.com.au in Hallam, Victoria, they have the full sets.

andyxlh

Thanks mate I've just sent them an email
andy