April 30, 2024, 01:17:23 AM

News:

Shovel Oil line??

Started by 1995 BadBoy, November 17, 2008, 01:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995 BadBoy

November 17, 2008, 01:57:27 PM Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:27:34 PM by 1995 BadBoy
I'm doing a top end on my 1983 80" FSXB.  I decided to remove the 2 oil lines and the 4 brass fittings that they fasten too, so I could polish the rocker boxes.

When I went to put the oil lines back on I noticed that the 4 brass fittings all have a different size oil flow orifice... in order of the smallest to largest they are 5/64", 7/64", 1/8" and 3/16".  The weird thing is the 7/64" size was the lower fitting in the case.  This is where logical reasoning went out the window!

I guess I ASSumed they were all the same size  :embarrassed:... 

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated....  I looked in a factory service manual and couldn't find any info. 

Thanks!

Hazy

November 17, 2008, 03:18:37 PM #1 Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:21:20 PM by Hazy
Some of the later model shovels used "restrictors" -the smaller orifice fittings- to control the oil flow to the top end. Supposedly too much oil was getting pumped up and it couldn't return fast enough. It would flood the guides and cause smoking/oil burning. My reasoning would be smallest to largest, starting at the case. YMMV If the valve guides and seals are in good shape, I've never seen it to be a problem.
Hazy

randallwhitman

I agree with Hazy.......knowledgeable shovel builders recommend restricting the flow somewhat at the case fitting.  Randy    :wink:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

bericuda

yeah, people need to realize that the system is a volume system not a pressure system....

oldhippie765

80 sg i had i put 45 degree t at the bottom ran 2 braided hoses to where the short line between rocker boxes goes plugged back hole never had any problems :teeth:rex

1995 BadBoy

I actually have been giving some thought to a set-up like that, if nothing else so the twinkie riders with the brand new leather jackets can ask "what's that for"??  :wink:

oldhippie765

Quote from: 1995 BadBoy on November 20, 2008, 07:32:38 PM
I actually have been giving some thought to a set-up like that, if nothing else so the twinkie riders with the brand new leather jackets can ask "what's that for"??  :wink:
my idea behind this was to get oil to both boxes at the same time. :teeth:rex

dablaze

Perry Kime at Flo Headworks sells a nice restrictor setup that oils both heads at the same time. I run it on my shovel andreally like it.

He explains it in his website

http://floheadworks.com/Default.htm

This is the guy that AZ Craig had his heads built by. My heads are going there next.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle