May 02, 2024, 07:17:01 PM

News:

ajustable push rods ???????

Started by softailcavie, November 17, 2008, 04:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

softailcavie

i have done push rods in a car but never ajustable how do you know thet are ajusted right dum question i just need to know. doing cams on my wifes 00 wideglide. thanks for the help

KingofCubes

Turn the engine over until the intake closes (your on compression stroke), take out the slack and go down .140" to.150", lock the adjust nuts and wait for the lifter to bleed down (till you can spin the pushrod) before rolling the engine over to do the other cylinder.

scoopfraser

It's important to know how many threads/inch your pushrods are.  This allows you to figure out how many turns they'll need to be adjusted to.  I *think* with 32 thread/inch you want to extend the pushrod 2.5 to 3.5 turns.  As I understand it the lifters have ~0.200" of travel and your adjustment should land you in the middle approximately (0.100").  So, if you've got 32 threads for 1 inch than you'll need to adjust them ~3.2 turns for 0.100".  Anyway, the way I do it is to extend the pushrod until there is no up-and-down play between the lifter and the rocker arm and check to see if you can rotate the pushrod with your fingers.  If so, then you are at zero lash and you need to now extend the pushrod 0.100" (or 3.2 turns).  Allow them some time to bleed down before you find TDC on the compression stroke for the next cylinder.

Hope this helps,
Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

x52gnr

This is why I spent the extra hour taking my rocker covers off when doing my bolt in cams...I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff and would have spent 10X as long trying to tweak and re- tweak adjustable pushrods.... :pop:
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

tdrglide

I'm not a professional, so I worry I might screw it up. What I always do is pull the cam cover off. That way I can look behind the cam support plate and see for sure that the lifters are on the base circle when I adjust them. I know it's extra work, but for me it's peace of mind. Pull the spark plugs and rotate the rear wheel until you get the cam where you want for the lifter you are adjusting on the base circle. Adjust that one only then go take a break for at least 15 min. The repeat for the next one.

ICANTD55

November 18, 2008, 09:09:56 AM #5 Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:37:51 AM by ICANTD55
Start out by going to dunkin donuts get a med ice coffee and ask for two straws. Go home and put the bike on a bike jack. Put the bike in 5-6 gear and pull the plugs. jack the bike and roll the rear tire ,put your thumb over the plug hole and feel for when it is pressurezed and trying to push your thumb off. pull your thumb off and insert the extra straw form the coffee shop(unused one) roll the tire and feel the straw for TDC you may have to rock it back and forth a few times. Once you find it I like to let the jack down so you wont spin the tire while making your adjustments.Pull the covers off the push rods And grab some paper clips and elastics to hold the lower tubes up close pins work also. Now you can do your adjustments as outlined above.
Have fun
Rick

P.S. Got the straw trick from Harley hog a while back.
RICK , MA

Bakon

Did the strw on an evo once. Went down the hole. Three hours trying to get it out. Compressed air, vacuum, what a bitch. Use something very long, not the wd40 red straw. We did get it out, but it was luck and a long grabber. :embarrassed:
wasting time

ICANTD55

November 18, 2008, 09:23:08 AM #7 Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:32:53 AM by ICANTD55
Your straw is too short :embarrassed:
Sorry couldn't resist

Yep need a long straw Med Ice Coffee, just rite. Don't use anything rigid like a pencil or pen
RICK , MA

softailcavie

thanks everyone i own two twincam so i need to learn how. :horse:  :horse::