May 04, 2024, 07:48:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TTS Vtune... now what?

Started by Sandman, August 06, 2009, 07:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandman

Recieved TTS yesterday. Ran the Vtune, 3 runs and everything went according to the book.
After I reset the AFR and PE back to Orig as per instructions, loaded the Map and It runs just fine but still to hot.
My question is how do I set the AFR to 13.5 or some other setting that I desire? What is the actual AFR I'm running? I must be missing
something ..... hope I don't sound to dense but??

HarleyFranco

Sandman,

If you have run the Vtune and got good cells your VE tables should be set to give you 14. 6 AFR in the closed loop area.  You should be able to adjust the VE tables to get the AFR you want.  Maybe Bob, Doc, or Herko (the big 3) will answer and help you better.  I know that without a dyno you will be adjusting things blind, but with some patience you should be able to adjust it to get the heat out.  Letting them know what type of bike and combination of parts you are running will be helpful too.

Frank

mcouture

Re-read the manual in the area of the CLB table (closed loop bias).   80% of the time our bikes run in this area.    I am using the CLB offset of 781 which correlates to about 14.2 AFR.   

When you change the CLB table you need to do your Vtune sessions again.

Doc 1

Quote from: mcouture on August 07, 2009, 05:39:27 AM
Re-read the manual in the area of the CLB table (closed loop bias).   80% of the time our bikes run in this area.    I am using the CLB offset of 781 which correlates to about 14.2 AFR.   

When you change the CLB table you need to do your Vtune sessions again.

Closed Loop Bias Voltage Table MUST be set before you do your V-Tuning....if you tuned, then set the Bias Table you have to go back and readjust the VE Tables by running the V-Tune process again.
As your tunin gthis time take a look at the engine temp before you shut down the Histogram. Compare the temps in each run...they should be getting cooler.
If you are running a 96'' motor with stock compression the temps should be in the 250 to 270 range...this is what I have found to be the status quo. If you have a 110'' motor your going to have temps from 265 to 280 on a hot day.
Doc

HD/Wrench

Setting the 02 Bias must be done first    , Doc the shop did call back and they changed the bias after with poor results.   

Sandman

I set the bias tables to 723, ran the v-tune 3 times generated new map, uploaded new map then reset the afr tables and Pe as in the instructions. I did not change the CLB.  Everything went well.
What I am asking is can I now go to the AFR table and select say 13.5 for a new value if I wish? I realize I won't be in closed loop if I do this. Will the ECM now adj my AFR for this new setting now that I have ran a proper Vtune and how accurate would it be?
I would like to run the bike in the 13.5 range if possible using the TTS but not sure how the TTS would adjust for this.

tks all

Don D

Yes but a mixture that rich is not needed to cool the motor (assuming mechanical issues are not present)
Setting the AFRs there will also eliminate the closed loop function in the cells that are at 14.6 presently

Sandman

Hmmm thought that running a bit richer would provide better power and cooling???!! As I stated in the earlier post I realize that I will not be in closed loop if I run other than 14.6 .......

tks

mcouture

I'm a newbie too.  I have 1 week of experience so if I describe something wrong, please forgive me!  :embarrassed:

Sounds like you followed the process correctly.

Remember, when you alter the Closed Loop Bias table, you are telling the software to run the closed loop section at a different AFR.  For example, setting the CLB table to 781 is telling the software anytime you see 14.6 in the AFR table (closed loop) make the 'real' AFR 14.43.

14.6 is a "switch" to the software.  It basically tells the ECM to process in closed loop mode.  The Closed Loop Bias Table allows you to alter the voltage calculations behind the scenes of what 14.6 means.  450mv is what 14.6 AFR normally, so if you change the bias table to 781mv you are telling the software anytime you see 781mv that means 14.6AFR.  ...but we know that 781mv is really 14.43 AFR.

I have a normal stage 1 96" motor and I am using 781mv as my CLB table.  After 3 V-tune sessions, head temps NEVER get above 270.  The furnace is gone...no more fried thighs...

FLTRI

Quote from: mcouture on August 07, 2009, 02:10:01 PM
I'm a newbie too.  I have 1 week of experience so if I describe something wrong, please forgive me!  :embarrassed:

Sounds like you followed the process correctly.

Remember, when you alter the Closed Loop Bias table, you are telling the software to run the closed loop section at a different AFR.  For example, setting the CLB table to 781 is telling the software anytime you see 14.6 in the AFR table (closed loop) make the 'real' AFR 14.43.

14.6 is a "switch" to the software.  It basically tells the ECM to process in closed loop mode.  The Closed Loop Bias Table allows you to alter the voltage calculations behind the scenes of what 14.6 means.  450mv is what 14.6 AFR normally, so if you change the bias table to 781mv you are telling the software anytime you see 781mv that means 14.6AFR.  ...but we know that 781mv is really 14.43 AFR.

I have a normal stage 1 96" motor and I am using 781mv as my CLB table.  After 3 V-tune sessions, head temps NEVER get above 270.  The furnace is gone...no more fried thighs...
By George, I think you've got it!!! :up: :up:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Sandman

Mcouture
Thanks ...... I find the tuning process pretty straight forward..... thanks to the great documentation that came with the pgm. I think TTS is A1 and I really like the data logging/playback, the combined features make for a very powerful tuner.
I am learning as I go along and some of it is over my head at this time.

I would like to know, now that I have completed a good VTune,  if I can set the AFR to 13.5 or 14.0  by setting the values in the AFR table, would i get a reasonable accurate AFR That I set ??

Another Dumb Q: How or does the VE Table Correlate to VFR in any way?

Is it possible for to display the time or a time stamp with the data logging? Would be nice if I could make a note of the time of a event and refer to  he play back to that moment.

TKS all

Hogflash

Quote from: Sandman on August 07, 2009, 08:18:09 PM
Mcouture
Is it possible for to display the time or a time stamp with the data logging? Would be nice if I could make a note of the time of a event and refer to  he play back to that moment.
You can approximate this using the timestamp for each record and knowing when the recording was started.  If you export the data to Excel, you could make a new column that adds the timestamp to the time the recording was started to get an absolute time each frame was recorded.

Sounds like a feature request to me! 

--Gary

FLTRI

Quote from: Sandman on August 07, 2009, 08:18:09 PM

TKS all
You can use the throttle to mark an event by using a WOT T/P 2-3 times at the point of event. Then go thru the data run and simply look for the T/P WOT marks you installed into the data.
HTH,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open