April 28, 2024, 12:12:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

03 1200c ignition problems

Started by 1200c Jon, August 08, 2009, 07:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1200c Jon

I am having problems with hot starting on an 03 1200c sporty. It fires right up when it's cold, runs fine, then after 15 minutes it just dies, has no spark and won't start. If I turn it off and let it sit for 5 minutes it will spark but it back fires out the pipes and carb. I've replaced the plugs, wires, coil, and gas. I bought an ignition module, but have not installed it yet because I'm not sure how to retime it or that the module is even the problem. Thanks for any help.

JBarrettB

It is very likely the ignition module is the problem, heat related failure. As for the timing just place the new plate where the bad one came out. The trick to the job is pulling the new harness into place. Lube the conduit so it will slide. I find taping the sockets/pins together will make clearing the oil line, that is directly in the way, right where the harness exits the cam cover easier. It's best to stagger them a bit, so they don't exit all at once. You'll still have to guide the harness past the trouble spot. Look at the routing of the existing sensor before you pull it out, you'll understand..., and that tight spot can hang the sockets/pins coming out, too. Match the wire colors back up and your in business.

JB   
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.