April 28, 2024, 04:14:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

JIMS 131 - Anybody?

Started by ChromeWhore, November 17, 2008, 08:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChromeWhore

Has anyone have any experience on reliability and performance of JIMS 131?  Is it what its cracked up to be? Are there other builds that will smoke it?

Please share your thoughts.... :pop:

Thanks bros....

--CW
an idiot if you do, an asshole if you don't... WTF

GoFast.....

Quote from: ChromeWhore on November 17, 2008, 08:57:16 PM
Has anyone have any experience on reliability and performance of JIMS 131?  Is it what its cracked up to be? Are there other builds that will smoke it?

Please share your thoughts.... :pop:

Thanks bros....

--CW
From what I have seen they come out of Jims pretty SAFE. I'm not going to say detuned but they have warranty issues to think about. wrote with a guy that had a Jims 121 and I think he said it make something like 113 or 115hp. But if you to up it you got a great platform to do it with
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

HV

Ive done 3 120s ... no 131s yet.... they are very reliable from what I see.... way over built compared to a stock TC...and as GoFast said a damn good starting platform ....with very little head work ( up the compression a bit ) they easily make more the advertised #s ... and other then a few lifter issues in the old first 120s .... Ive not heard of any parts failures ... as with any big cube engine modified its bound to have some things to keep an eye on
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

moose

I'm running a 120 with 125hp and 135 tq and it runs like a bear. If they come out with the 131 for the b motor I'm in for it.
this motor is built like a brick s**t house.

had mine redone by SBC before it was even installed crank welded, heads done etc as a matter of fact the video charlie has has a lot of my motor on it being assembled

moose
Moose aka Glenn-

ChromeWhore

Yeah, JIMS 131 seems like a very good platform. I would probably have Baisley rework the heads and throw in some Woods geared cams.

I called JIM Moco and one of the guys  said that a B-engine should be available by December or January, if all goes well.   :beer:

--CW

x52gnr

Man I could only dream of that motor...mmmmmmmmmmmmm
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Hillside Motorcycle

We built a Jim's 120" in a bagger that set a Land Speed Record at Maxton, South Carolina.(Maxton Mile) First time out. ECTA.com
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

ChromeWhore

Hillside you guys rock.... You know that already... :smiled:

Wouldn't Woods Cams be better than the SE Cams that comes with JIMS Engine?

--CW

Bakon

never understood why the jims are coming with chain cams and not gears. Anyone?
wasting time

oneeye13

When i built my 120 I pulled the chain cams and went to s&s 640g,decked the heads and getting 148 hp and 145 tq

Greaseball

Is Jims putting the Timken crank bearings in the 120 or the 131???
It isn't obvious from their website, so I'm guessing they do not.  Can anyone verify this?
It also looks like they oil pump, cam plate, and camchains are the updated design in the 131, and old-style in the 120???  Again, I am left guessing here based on the info at their website

I'd love to have a 131 in my bagger, though!

nc-renegade

Quote from: Greaseball on November 19, 2008, 03:09:25 PM
Is Jims putting the Timken crank bearings in the 120 or the 131???
It isn't obvious from their website, so I'm guessing they do not.  Can anyone verify this?
It also looks like they oil pump, cam plate, and camchains are the updated design in the 131, and old-style in the 120???  Again, I am left guessing here based on the info at their website

I'd love to have a 131 in my bagger, though!

Give TR at T-Man Performance a call.  He builds a lot of 120's and 131's...even has a 135 kit for the 131.  IIRC, Jims has the Timken Bearing.  TR puts his cams and heads on the build to make the numbers you'd expect.

Someone mentioned why Jims doesn't put gears in.  When my gear drive failed their new bullet camplate, I talked with them and since they don't sell the gear drives, they don't recommend them or warrant their application.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

HD/Wrench

We have one on the way here to do some work on. R&R makes a billet head for it, along with a cam swap should do wonders for the very safe numbers it puts out in box stock form. Crank will go to hobans, some other minor upgrades. Should be a great set up once done.

Greaseball

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on November 20, 2008, 09:46:24 AM
We have one on the way here to do some work on. R&R makes a billet head for it, along with a cam swap should do wonders for the very safe numbers it puts out in box stock form. Crank will go to hobans, some other minor upgrades. Should be a great set up once done.

I'd be interested to know what you find for crank bearings.  Keep us posted?  Maybe start a thread with the build up that you are doing?

I laughing at the fact that even at this price tag, the bottom end still needs to be gone through with crank work to make it bullet-proof.

Evo160K

Our local h-d dealer has done two.  iirc they were complete engines and both did about 135 and 135.  One fellow complained about the se clutch slipping.  The other fellow just putts around.  Other than that I haven't heard any comments about them.