April 28, 2024, 12:07:08 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Twinkie Extended Warranty?

Started by Flat Dog, November 18, 2008, 06:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Dog

Since I haven't subscribed to stealer's orders regarding the warranty (do my own maintenance, non factory approved build, etc), is it stupid to keep the extended warranty I bought?

I guess what I really want to know is how many people have really needed the extended warranty beyond the free tire deal? Kinda hard to go through $1,000 worth of free tires in 4-5 years unless we're doing constant x country runs...

Thanks for any experience you can pass along!

-John

PanHeadRed

Free tires? For real?

I would pay $1,000.00 for 5 years of unlimited tires in a heart beat, even if it only covered the rear. Front and rear? Parts and labor? Hell yeah, IMO it's a no brainer.

PanHeadRed

Were talking Dunlop, right? Not Ching Shin.

Flat Dog

They have to be damaged, as in 'Oops, I ran over a screw and it screwed itsself all the way into my tire'  ;)

I've always done my own maintenance, but the tire replacement deal is actually pretty cool, and probably the only thing I'll use. Covers wheels, too.

Flat Dog

November 18, 2008, 07:07:15 AM #4 Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:36:35 AM by Photo John
Quote from: PanHeadRed on November 18, 2008, 07:04:12 AM
Were talking Dunlop, right? Not Ching Shin.

Yep-OEM Dunlop tires. They'll substitute a more expensive tire for just the difference in price between the two.

PanHeadRed

My misunderstanding, $1000.00 for road hazard? Nope.

x52gnr

No thanks, the only road hazzard rI have when riding is me.... :smile:
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Desperado

John,

I think this was explored on the old board and the general consensus was that it depends upon how many miles you ride in a year.  And how long you plan to keep the bike.  Generally the first couple of year there isn't much to be replaced and that's under factory warranty anyway.  In the 4 to 7 year range more expensive repairs can be expected. 

I know that the policy on my 2000 Ultra had paid out more in stators, voltage regulators, faring brackets, and cam box than I had paid for it when I lost that bike due to a wreck - t-boned by a stupid driver.  I then got a refund on the remaining portion of the policy.  The bike was 4 1/2 years old when I lost it and had 82,000 miles on it.  My policy didn't replace tires.  I purchased the 7 year extended warranty on the replacement 2005 Ultra and have used it on a stator and faring brackets already.  Remember once you have paid the deductable on any repair, you will never have to pay it again.   Speed sensor go out, pay the deductible and have it replaced.  Speed sensor go out again, have it replaced for free.  At least that's the way it is with my policy.

Many independents are certified to do the extended warranty repairs.  They don't give you grief over doing your own fluid changes like a dealership will so that can become a non-issue if you find a good indy to do your extended warranty work.

Let me make this real clear.  The first two year factory warranty work must be done by a dealership, but the extended warranty is just an insurance policy and the work can be done by anyone certified.  Be aware that there are also some dealerships that are selling their own policy.  These often include things like tires, but those are only good at the issuing dealership and thus they may give you grief over not using them to do the service.  The Morrell Act, I think that's correct, prohibits them from requiring you to use them for service unless they provide that service for free so if you have records of doing the service yourself - that includes sales receipts for the oil, filters, etc. - they cannot use your servicing your own vehicle to deny the warranty.  Mods may be a different story.

In answer to your originall question, yes, my service policy on my 2000 Ultra paid for itself and then some.  I expect the policy on my 2005 Ultra to pay for itself as well, but I ride a lot.  My 4 1/2 year old 2005 has 78,000 on it as of this writing.

Hope this helps....

Desperado

Hillside Motorcycle

Just an extended warranty carrier company.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

moose

it's the moss magneson act of 1975 passed by congress.

if your bored here is a link to the info

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

moose
Moose aka Glenn-

Big Cahuna

The warrenty may be used for trans, electrical or other repairs not just the motor. As far as I understand they will not cover normal wear and tare items like brakes, tires {unless you pay extra for that} batteries, light bulbs, fluid changes and items that are "required maintence" that were neglected or never done, breakage do to abuse, if the bike was used offroad. And I hear if you tow a trailer anything that breaks due to that isn't covered.But if you have a Harley sidecar your good. It seems the list of what they don't cover, is longer then what they do. So if you really ride alot it may be worth the $$$, but if you barhop and log 2k per year it's doubtful you get much from it.,,

se

I have the externded warranty
i used mine last year for the crank ,cam plate,oilpump gaskets ,oil etc.
they paid for parts and labor.
i used the rim and tire coverage  rear rim was shot.
dont like the rim and tir coverage tho its a 50.00 deductable and i think it was 250.00 max still cost me money because i didnt know i could bring it to  the indy shop.
this year my trans shaft is bent they paid for a repair on that parts and labor ..i think i got my moneys worth out of it..

specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

Coff 06

After a couple of years,and a couple of "screwed" 200/17 rear tires,dealer says I could of added tire coverage to my extened warr. for ANOTHER $350!WTF  So far the money spent on ext.warr. could have paid for lots of tires.Live and learn I guess.            Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Flat Dog

My bike is my only transportation, so I guess I'l keep the coverage. Thanks everyone!!!