May 02, 2024, 06:34:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

K&N Air Filter

Started by Mix01FLHT, November 01, 2008, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mix01FLHT

Is there another oil that can be used for oiling the air filter and how much?

Thanks
01FLHT/95/HTCCcnc/.03hg/S&S585/mik48/THeadhybred/SErollerrockers/chainfinaldrive

ChuckW698

November 01, 2008, 09:20:06 PM #1 Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 09:33:28 PM by ChuckW698
If you pay the big bucks for the K&N, why would want to change the oil used on it that it was designed to use.
The K&N Recharger kit, PN: 99-5000 does not cost that much, ($19.95) and will last for 20 or more uses.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filters/65A1993A0A0.aspx

04glide

I bought the recharge kit for $15 at a local autoparts store. It will last for quite a while.

crash1292

ran out of k@n oil so I just saturated it with atf and let it drip off

mark61

Quote from: crash1292 on November 02, 2008, 03:13:09 AM

WAY too much oil!  Use a spray bottle and just "color" the filter.

mark61

HDDOC

Marvel Mystery Oil works well, sprayed on lightly from a pump bottle.  Doc
2019 Tri Glide

crash1292

Quote from: mark61 on November 02, 2008, 06:25:20 AM
Quote from: crash1292 on November 02, 2008, 03:13:09 AM

WAY too much oil!  Use a spray bottle and just "color" the filter.

mark61
you should have seen the spray from it when it backfired thru the carb :D

Memnar

I used ATF when I ran out of K&N and was heading out of state and it did work in a pinch, but yea it was too much, too juicy.
Albuquerque, NM.

Mike52

You don't have to buy the Recharge kit for the K&N, which includes the cleaner and oil, but I do buy the K&N oil in a separate bottle (a larger bottle of the oil costs less than the complete kit). I clean my K&N filters with Simple Green in a misting bottle, diluted 50/50 with water, then a thorough rinsing in hot, hot water, let it air dry completely, re-oil using the K&N oil.  JMO

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

harleydave51

Anybody not oil theirs? I rode a couple years without oiling and had no problems (that I'm aware of). Just like a dry filter.
WTF, Run amuk
89 FXRS
MASShole

Caper

Quote from: harleydave51 on November 02, 2008, 12:44:45 PM
Anybody not oil theirs? I rode a couple years without oiling and had no problems (that I'm aware of). Just like a dry filter.

K&N air filters come pre-oiled and don't need cleaning for 50,000 miles or until you can't see the screen, they recommend 25,000 miles before cleaning if you ride on dusty roads or off road.

dohmixer

Quote from: harleydave51 on November 02, 2008, 12:44:45 PM

Back in the old days when I took the bike in for service  ??? I got it back with a clean DRY filter.
2000 Dyna Wide Glide     Union Baker BCTGM Local#85

HCC

The K/N air filters should be cleaned every 5k miles on the scheduled service. If done properly, the recharge kit should last for quite some time. If you don't want to use that kit, we have also used the Drag Specialties cleaner and oil. The only difference is that it is Blue instead of Red. I guess one thing to consider is the warranty on the filter. If you put anything else on it, and they maybe able to test for that, then your replacement warranty would be no good any more.

Mike52

Quote from: Caper on November 02, 2008, 01:13:34 PMK&N air filters come pre-oiled and don't need cleaning for 50,000 miles or until you can't see the screen, they recommend 25,000 miles before cleaning if you ride on dusty roads or off road.

If I'm not mistaken that mileage is more for an automotive type environment such as a closed air box used on cars. Most M/C filters are exposed more to the elements than auto filters are. I sure wouldn't recommend going that distance on a bikes K&N before cleaning.  JMO

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Caper

You're right, my mistake...but I think no need to clean until you can't see the screen could apply to a motosickle air filter too,but check at every service I don't think would be overkill.

roadtrain

K&N air filter....K&N oil kit, why you you want to change anything. After all isn't this why you purchased the K&N filter in the first place,,,,,,,great product doing a great job.

Just keep it how it was designed to work and everything will be good.

I read the comment about running these filters dry........I don't believe you would be doing you engine any favours as alot of dust would pass through your filters element.

RT

JerseyT

Re. washing a K&N filter in hot water ... I seem to recall that the cleaning instructions that come with K&N filters specifically state to not wash in hot water, only cool.  May have something to do with the fact that the filter media is made of cotton.

Mike52

Quote from: JerseyT on November 02, 2008, 06:06:12 PM
Re. washing a K&N filter in hot water ... I seem to recall that the cleaning instructions that come with K&N filters specifically state to not wash in hot water, only cool.  May have something to do with the fact that the filter media is made of cotton.

Jersey, I've been cleaning the same K&N filter for 7 years with hot water and Simple Green, hasn't hurt it yet. At least it hasn't shrunk like a cotton t-shirt...........LOL

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Mix01FLHT

Quote from: roadtrain on November 02, 2008, 04:24:22 PM
K&N air filter....K&N oil kit, why you you want to change anything. After all isn't this why you purchased the K&N filter in the first place,,,,,,,great product doing a great job.

I read the comment about running these filters dry........I don't believe you would be doing you engine any favours as alot of dust would pass through your filters element.

RT

Roadtrain,

You probably use Harley oil in your Harley too!  Just because they make it, doesn't mean its the best.  Not opposed to using k&n oil, but, theres got to be something as good if not better.

Mix 8)
01FLHT/95/HTCCcnc/.03hg/S&S585/mik48/THeadhybred/SErollerrockers/chainfinaldrive

roadtrain

November 02, 2008, 10:55:06 PM #19 Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:11:10 PM by roadtrain
Quote from: Mix01FLHT on November 02, 2008, 09:59:23 PM
Quote from: roadtrain on November 02, 2008, 04:24:22 PM

RT

Roadtrain,

You probably use Harley oil in your Harley too!  Just because they make it, doesn't mean its the best.  Not opposed to using k&n oil, but, theres got to be something as good if not better.

Mix 8)

No my friend I don't use harley oil, but I do use K&N oil on my filters as it's easy to obtain and I know it does the job it's required to do. I believe it's as good as you'll get so I see no reason to use something else.

If you were to switch to another brand of filter oil for your K&N filter what would be your reason?? I would hardly think it would be cost as you use very little, and how do you tell if one oil is better than another.

RT

Billy

Quote from: Mike52 on November 02, 2008, 07:09:20 PM
Quote from: JerseyT on November 02, 2008, 06:06:12 PM

Jersey, I've been cleaning the same K&N filter for 7 years with hot water and Simple Green, hasn't hurt it yet. At least it hasn't shrunk like a cotton t-shirt...........LOL

Mike

Just don't put it in the dryer!!  ;D
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

wildbill2566

K&N filters are designed to run oiled. If its run dry the filtering capability is reduced, which means more engine wear. Run the correct oil and you cant go wrong, of course if you know more than the design engineers with all their testing data you should run what you think best.

Mike52

Just don't put it in the dryer!!  ;D

Good advice!!!!   ;D
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

mackdog

I've used a K&N on two diferent bikes and follow the instructions from the recharge kit. I'm not sure if the "oil" is the type we are used to using to lube everything else.  The stuff washes off way to easy with water and doesn't get all greasy. Seems like a true oil would be a b*^#h to get out of the filter element when it gets all dirtied up.  The K&N stuff cleans out way too easy(water soluble type oil)  Which is a good thing.  Also, to my way of thinking, the low restriction type filters should not be kept dry as some advocate but needs the "oil" to trap smaller particles and retain the low restriction ability. Just my thoughts.  MD

Mike52

Quote from: mackdog on November 03, 2008, 09:25:32 PM
I've used a K&N on two diferent bikes and follow the instructions from the recharge kit. I'm not sure if the "oil" is the type we are used to using to lube everything else.  The stuff washes off way to easy with water and doesn't get all greasy. Seems like a true oil would be a b*^#h to get out of the filter element when it gets all dirtied up.  The K&N stuff cleans out way too easy(water soluble type oil)  Which is a good thing.  Also, to my way of thinking, the low restriction type filters should not be kept dry as some advocate but needs the "oil" to trap smaller particles and retain the low restriction ability. Just my thoughts.  MD

Mackdog, your thoughts are right on the money, good points. Just because the filter oil is red doesn't mean any red oil (Marvel Mystery oil) will take it's place.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net