April 28, 2024, 12:57:41 AM

News:

S&S Reed valve ?

Started by ICANTD55, November 18, 2008, 07:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ICANTD55

I know that S&S makes the reed valve but has anybody had issues with it? When I was at Well know engine manufacture they told me that they were not all that great and actually stole horsepower so they remove them. I was just wondering how you guys are making out with them. I had one in my hand when I was building my motor and left it out due to the input I got. I have been second guessing myself ever sense. Does the reed valve create excess oil build up in the crank area?

The way I am seeing it as I think about it , the pump scavenges from two places the crank area  That's in a slight vacuum( with Reed Valve) pulling on the oil in the crank area and on the camchest side that is under pressure it seems to me that the oil on the pressurized side will be scavenged easier than the side in a vacuum witch could create more oil in the crankcase. YES,NO?Maybe?

I am Beginning to think I think too much. :crook:

It seems that Hogman has had good luck with it anybody else?

Anybody  ,Hillside, Randy  Do you guys have any input on this?
Were Has Monkey Been?

Thanks Rick
RICK , MA

Don D

Have pulled a few out that's for sure that were sumping and with the valve gone all better. You do not want a 1 way check valve there with the stock TC cases.
"If you install the S&S breather it only allows the air to pass through the bearing from the crank case to the cam chest one way....now as the piston goes up the bore the breather stops the air from cycling back through assisting in oil drain from the top and causing a vacuum in the crank case which you DON'T need with this Twin Cam breathing design. Now the oil has to return by gravity alone which slows the return process so oil can be actually filling the rocker boxes. All the oil is directed into the cam chest now in the TC not the Crank case". quoted from HDMD88, AKA DOC1 htt

ICANTD55

Thanks Don
It was never explained to me at the time they had told me not to run it but that got me thinking why not?
It seems that you agree that it can cause exessive oil in the crank area.
Thanks for posting
Rick
RICK , MA

02 Ultra

I'm no rocket scientist but after mine did not help to control oil carryover I removed it.
:smiled:
02 Ultra Classic mild 95"

ICANTD55

I am beginning to feel better about leaving it out.
Thanks 02. :pop:
RICK , MA

PC_Hater

I fitted one in my 1999 88" FLTRI when I did the gear drive cam change to replace the ball bearing originals. No late-model chain conversion in those days or I would have used that.
While I was in there I decided to fit the S&S reed valve. A dyno run showed that same slight power increase in the mid range exactly like the picture in the S&S catalogue. After the Stage 1 download there was no sign of that slight mid range power increase - just more everywhere!
I have had no problems with it at all, but then my bike is a mild (TW21G) build that will only get to 95" when the bike needs a rebore. I did enlarge the drain holes in the rocker box while I was in there though. Not sure what size drill I used. "This drill is bigger than that hole - so that will do nicely!"
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

hdpegscraper

I had the same sumpping problem with the S&S reed valve- 95ci, Woods 6H cam, and way too much compression. Was it the reed valve, or mabey I didnt get the pump alligned just right? It just sits on the Speed Parts Shelf of Shame now. It fits an "A" motor if any one wants to fool with it.

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

jsachs1

I've removed everyone I've come across  :down: ------------- All better.
John

ICANTD55

November 19, 2008, 08:06:02 AM #9 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:08:13 AM by ICANTD55
THANKS
Jsachs & Hillside

That thing is looking better and better hanging on the wall. :smile:
RICK , MA

Lew

November 19, 2008, 08:58:58 AM #10 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 03:08:00 PM by lewy1313
I know of two cases where a reed broke off and caused sumping problems.  One was at the track and the rider nearly lost it because of blowing oil getting on the rear tire.  Both of the bad valves were replaced by S&S, so they are aware of this not so minor issue.
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

uglyDougly

The timing chest is where the oil pressure relief valve is located. If that area is pressurized (and the reed valve is pumping from the crankcase into the timing chest) the oil pressure is increased relative to the crankcase.
  I don't know how that would affect the scavenging other than the extra oil flow that higher pressure causes.
  Doug
If you don't check your work, you can assume it's perfect.

ICANTD55

If you make a tee with a straw and put one side into the bottom of a sealed container 1/4 full of beer with a  vacuum pulling on the top of it and the other side in the same kind of container with pressure on it and you sucked on center  straw I would bet that you will pull more beer from the pressurized side than the side in a vacuum. Path of lease resistance you will have to overcome the vacuum before you will be able to get the beer to move.

If this is true what would happen if all the oil was scavenged from the camchest would the pump cavitate? Probably not but if you got that far how much oil is sitting in you crank case?

doesent the check valve come into play after the oil has been scavenged?

I know I ask too many questions but it gives you guys something to think about LOL .It keeps us young. :teeth:

RICK , MA