Cold weather, below what temperature should you not start your bike?

Started by 00FHHRCI, November 18, 2008, 11:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

00FHHRCI

Greetings,
Now that winter is here, I'm wondering what is the coldest temperature for a "safe start"?  I run 20-50 syn 3.  All I could find in my service manual is anything above 40F.  Just wondering.

Thanks

James

ViennaHog

If you are concerned about low temp lubrication, you could switch to 10-50 grade oil. But I assume your park your bike above the freezing point and that why you are OK with the 20-50 in your engine.

moose

if you are parking the bike there is no need to keep starting it. You will put more moisture in the motor by starting than by just leaving it set. Just put fresh oil in it run it thru and put it on a battery tender than leave it alone

imho
moose
Moose aka Glenn-

00FHHRCI

I do ride some in cold weather.  I need to add that the service manual states HD multi-grade 20-50.  I run syn 20-50.  Any difference between the dino oil and syn oil in 20-50 for cold weather starts?

smoserx1

My 99 has 120000 miles on it (original engine, no rebuild) and I have always run 20-50.  Never "winterized" or changed to different weight in cold weather.  I commute 30+ miles per day year round if it is dry, and frequently ride several days in the winter when temps are below 20, and many days when it is below 30, just like yesterday.  Any temperature that is safe for you is safe for your motorcycle, IMO.

00FHHRCI

Sounds like you do some cold weather riding like I do.  It doesn't look like the cold weather has affected your bike according to the mileage you have on your bike.  Do you run syn?  Is your bike parked in a heated garage?

smoserx1

Dino 1st 47K, Syn3 next 20K or so, Amsoil most of the rest.  Also tried mobile 1 v twin a couple of times.  Liked that oil too.  Unheated garage.

FLTRI

They've been starting these engine in the winter in Milwaukee when it is below 20degs out for the past 105 years!  :smiled:......with dino oils as well as syns.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Faast Ed

Like Moose said, you put moisture into the motor by starting it for only short periods (severe condensation - accumilates fast in the cold).  But if you ride the bike long enough to cook it out of there, you will be fine.
≡Faast Ed>

Scurvy

smose  :up:   
Any time I've been out below 32, oil temp stays the same anyways :)   
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

Faast Ed

Keep in mind that a longer warm up peroid should be allowed. (I suspect you already knew that).
≡Faast Ed>

Bakon

your fine. You could go Mobil 1 15w50 for some savings over the Mobil 1 V twin stuff. Run it for years. No problem.
wasting time

hdpegscraper

When it gets colder, for MN, I dump in Shell Rotella (synthetic) 5w-40, $16 a gallon, I usually put in thinner Tranny fluid too. If you start it, ride it, to full operating temp to burn the internal moisture.  Starting it just to listen to it, or charge the battery during winter is not a good idea as you prolly already know.

calgary56

I live 3 hours North of the Montana border, ride all year 'round, well, as long as the roads are dry, temps as low as -14 C (about 6 F). Don't really think a warm-up period is all that important, unless you're gonna light up the back tire right off the get-go. I start it, put it in gear, and ride it. Can't be all that harmful, as my '05 has 201,500 Kms (125,155 miles) on it (original engine, no rebuild), and still runs great.

I typically run Mobil 1 20W-50 in it most of the year, once it gets to Dec \Jan I may put Mobil 1 15W-50 in it, although it doesn't seem to make much difference.

One benefit of riding at -14 C (about 6 F), ya never worry about the engine overheating when stuck in traffic :)
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

GoFast.....

Quote from: 00FHHRCI on November 18, 2008, 11:54:57 AM
Sounds like you do some cold weather riding like I do.  It doesn't look like the cold weather has affected your bike according to the mileage you have on your bike.  Do you run syn?  Is your bike parked in a heated garage?
I do to 65 DEGREES
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

jumpinjack

``One benefit of riding at -14 C (about 6 F), ya never worry about the engine overheating when stuck in traffic``

I would guess not......ha ha ha, ride safe a. :beer:

Sonny S.