Bike dies when coming to a stop

Started by Cooner, August 16, 2009, 06:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooner

I have been tuning the bike on the weekends for the last month or so.  This weekend I rode the coast from New Orleans to Pensacola, the bike appeared to run fine.  About Gulf Shores it started dying whenever I came to a stop.   :cry:  After it sat and cooled a bit it would idle but soon would not.

I know I need to do more tuning. 

Could this dying problem have anything to do with the TTS? 

TIA, Mark

Cooner

Bike is a 2007 FatBoy with Wood 6 cam, stock heads, Vance and Hines Longshots.

FLTRI

In 2007 the factory evidently forgot to locktite that screw on some bikes. After the engine is hot the screw has slowly over time backed out and closed the butterfly. Once it is closed the ECM will not read the sensors correctly and the engine will idle to a stop, starting when the engine gets hot, like after a long run the the freeway and then coming to a stop.

Look on the back of the A/C plate for the screw and its threads sticking out the back that is used to crack the TB butterfly open.

Grab the threads with an appropriate plier/vicegrip and see if it rotates with ease. If so, that's your problem so get it to die @ idle and rotate the screw enough to get it to idle just like you would a carb.

This will get you to the dealer where they should cover it under goodwill warranty if you have no warranty left.
Hope this helps,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

FSG

Check   TT302 , Apr 05, 2007 - 2007 Idle and Running Issues ,

found in the HarleyTechTalk > Documents & FAQ's > Instruction Sheets, Bulletins, Recalls > HD > Tech Tips  Section

link =>  http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,11130.msg113889.html#msg113889

Cooner

:smile:

Thank you Gentleman, I know the screw you are referring to, I looked at it but did not want to mess with anything until checking here. 

I will check with the local dealer, if I do it myself, should there be Loctite on that screw?  Which type?

How about local TATS tuners "near" New Olreans?  Mike Catalanotto is here but he perfers to work with Power Commanders. 

Thanks again, this site is the  best.   :agree:

Doc 1

There is some great advice here from Bob and others however I must add if you're playing with the VE tables try setting the Idle area back to the orignal and see if it continues to stall.
Doc

Cooner

Thanks Doc 1, I checked the idle RPM table:  -16 @1296
                                                                0 @1296
                                                               80@984
                                                               192@984

That all looks okay to this inexperienced tuner.  What do you think?  How about the Locktite on that screw, any thoughts?

Thanks for the input.

Later, Mark

Steve Cole

Fire the bike up and use DataMaster to look at the IAC. You should be able to see how many stepes it is calling for. The range is 0 -200 as I recall, 200 being as far open as it can go. If the bike is at idle and the IAC is at 200 and still stalles te screw that others have told you about has come out of adjustment. At normal temperature idle the IAC should be around 25 as I recall but since you have changed componets it could be a little higher.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

FLTRI

As I mentioned earlier HD screwed up in 2007 and either forgot or didn't use the correct loctite on the set screw.
If it is loose that is undoubtedly the cause of the problem.
We've seen and fixed over 50 bikes that has come to us with the "after I run on the freeway for a while then get off and come to a stop and the engine dies" statements.
No need to go any farther than to verify the loose screw then reset to proper IAC @ about 25 @ warm idle as Steve indicated.
We use red loctite and let it wick into the threads, or you can remove the screw ad apply the loctite ten reinstall, what ever floats your boat.
Bob

Cooner

:wtf:  Got home from work, checked the set screw and was unable to move it while it was cold, my buddy tried also to no avail.  Hooked up the computer and opened the Data Master program, started the Fat Boy and let it warm up.  It never did stall while idling, let it warm up to 280 degrees, still no stall, went for a 20 minute ride until the rain and lightening came, rode home.  All the while the bike idled at 980-1000 rpm, 45 steps at idle.  Had my buddy on the back with the computer.

Probably not enough road time, I will try it again when I am able to get a chance to go for a ride.

Any thoughts?  I would think that if that set screw was loose once it warmed up it would die right away?   :bf:

TIA, Mark   :sink:

FLTRI

Mark,
Symptoms of the "loose screw" are reported to be after the bike has run on the freeway for a while (maybe 1/2hr-1hr) then, after it was good and hot, pulling to a stop (off-ramp, etc.) the engine would idle to 0 rpm, die, stop running, no more go.  :emsad:
If you cannot easily turn the screw then it isn't the problem. Plus you verified the IAC @ 45 steps, which is ok.
IMO you will need to do the same diagnosis as it quits running.
Is it possible you got a load of bad gas? Have you refilled since the problem occurred?
Bob

Cooner

Could have been bad gas but I filled up twice after it first started dying.

I remember once before it started dying we stopped and my buddy got gas, I did not.  When I started the bike it revved higher for a longer period of time than normal.  A little higher and a little longer high idle and the bike was not even cooled off much.

I will not have a chance to ride the bike until this weekend.  I will have someone on the back holding the computer and I will have them report what is happening with the IAC.  Anything else I should have them pay attention to?

TIA, Mark

FLTRI

Run data mode and record the event and that way you can come back and view all the readings when the event happens so hopefully you will seen the sensor that's crapping. Or a speed reading that isn't right that would cause the ECM to alter idle rpms.
Also you will be able to send out (e-mail) the data file if necessary for analysis help.
Bob

FSG

Also Check   TT410 , Aug 03, 2009 - 2007 Big Twin Idle Speed Improvements  ,

found in the HarleyTechTalk > Documents & FAQ's > Instruction Sheets, Bulletins, Recalls > HD > Tech Tips  Section

link =>  http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,11130.msg113889.html#msg113889