April 27, 2024, 09:24:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tourquing Rocker Box...

Started by Sparks, November 18, 2008, 02:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparks

I was wondering how the best way is to torque your rocker box, breather and covers back down when the tank is still on. I have heard of useing a dog bone off the torque wrench but that you had to be careful that you get the right value. Any tips would be appreciated.

Arrowsmit

Yep, dogbones. Used at 90* to the wrench the TQ won't change. I have Snap-On brand, but Proto (& prolly others) offer em too.

VicW.

fxrp

Even with a torque adaptor (dog bone) you're not gonna get in there with the tank on. With the tank off you'll have some challenges getting in with an adaptor.

BTW if you leave the adaptor 90 degrees to the torque wrench you won't affect the torque value. If you set the adaptor parallel to the wrench you have lengthened the torque wrench and changed the torque setting.

Paul

Arrowsmit

Ooops, if you block the rear of the tank up a bit it's manageable...but I prefer taking the tank off. Forum mermber Herkobagger offers some very nice QD's for the fuel line X-over.

VicW.

Sparks

I do have the tank blocked up about 1 1/4". I found this torque formula but it doesn't say anything about what angle the adapter is mounted to the torque wrench. I was also wondering if you could use an allen socket on your torque wrench to turn a standard wrench to reach in with?

TORQUE ADAPTER USAGE
How to Use Proto Torque Adapters

Proto torque adapters are designed with a center-to-center dimension of 2". This means that the distance from the center of the square drive of the mating torque wrench to the center of the fasteners is exactly 2". This constant dimension serves to simplify the process of calculating the torque applied.
The steps as required to calculate torque when using a Proto torque adapter are as follows:

1 Determine the amount of torque required to properly set the fastener.
2 Determine the length of the torque wrench from the center of the grip to the center of the square drive (remember that this changes as you adjust the torque wrench setting).
3 Multiply the amount of torque you are trying to apply (1) by the length of the torque wrench from (2) above.
4 Add 2" for the torque adapter length to (2).
5 Divide the result from (3) by the result from (4). The result is the torque wrench setting required to properly torque the fastener.

For example, you want to torque a grade 8 fastener with a thread diameter of 3/8" and a hex size of 9/16", using a Proto 6006AB torque wrench.
From the Standard Torque Value Chart the recommended bolt torque is 47 foot-pounds.
1 The 6006AB torque wrench dimension is 10".
2 The torque, 47 foot-pounds, multiplied by the length of 10 inches is 470.
3 Adding 2" for the torque adapter to the torque wrench length of 10" equals 12".
4 Dividing 470 by 12 results in a torque wrench setting of 39 foot-pounds. This will result in the desired 47 foot-pounds at the fastener.

Following this procedure results in an accuracy of ±2% (added to the accuracy of the torque wrench it becomes W6% total). For greater accuracy, another iteration can be performed using a measurement of the torque wrench from the center of the grip (set at 39 foot-pounds) to the center of the square drive.

fxrp

Sparks,

That formula is if the adaptor is out sraight and extends/lengthens the wrench. If the adaptor (any adaptor) is positioned 90 degrees to the torque wrench the settings are correct. The torque settings are based on the length of the wrench.

Paul

Sparks

Quote from: fxrp on November 18, 2008, 06:58:57 PM
Sparks,

That formula is if the adaptor is out sraight and extends/lengthens the wrench. If the adaptor (any adaptor) is positioned 90 degrees to the torque wrench the settings are correct. The torque settings are based on the length of the wrench.

Paul
Thanks Paul, I should be able to use the wrench at 90 deg without to much trouble.