May 01, 2024, 05:44:57 PM

News:

Primary Oil and Engine Oil 1965 xlh

Started by cajun1957a, August 17, 2009, 06:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajun1957a

I recently changed the oil in my 65 xlh.  For some reason, I did not put any in the primary side.  I have read in the manual that it shares the same oil as the crank case. and in fact if you look at the block inside the primary side there is a whole that will allow you to see the flywheel.(A common sump). I guess I assumed that it would use the oil in that.  Went for a nice 30 mile ride and its noisey as all get out.  I guess there wasnt a whole lot of oil in the primary side.  Doesnt seem to have damaged anything but Im going to pull it down anyway.

Does a 1965 XLH use the same oil and does it get it from the common motor oil in the engine, or do I have to add it to the primary side as well?  Some guys are using a heavy HD Primary oil.  Should I be using that and if so, will it mix with the engine oil and cause some sort of damage?

randy

jmanjeff

There should not be any way for the motor oil to get in the primary side , if the hole you see the crank  is about  1" and by the primary chain adjuster   that is where the oil transfer valve should be.

The oil is  the same as in same  i use 60 wt , the primary needs to have it's own oil that is where the tranny gets it oil.   there should be a bolt on the primary cover around the foot peg fill the primary tell it starts to come out the hole
1957  Sportster

saltcaveminer