May 02, 2024, 10:35:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Changed my shock oil

Started by jamesd12, November 18, 2008, 03:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesd12

Well,just to share.

I finally changed the rear shock oil in my 01 bagger. took the advise of others and put in the 7 weight and put in 350 cc in each shock. MAN am I lovin' it. I used to run 20 psi and it still bounced a lot. now I am running 8 psi and it feels GREAT.

Jamed12

Sonny S.

ya know, I've never done that .... details..we need details    :teeth:

waskier01

glad we could be of some help. There is a vaccuum method to remove the fluid, but I've never been able to remove all of it this way.  There is the inverted gravity method, but this could take days.  There is the Invert, upright, invert, upright, repeat 800 times method, this is extremely tiring.  So, I've started vaccuuming out as much as I can, and them invert for a few days.  I've done about a dozen sets so far, and on the heavier set-ups, think about the 10 weight.

jamesd12

I followed the instructions on previous posts and I think most recently Puhb1, and then just adapted the remove and re-install oil technique to suit me. I let them hang for a few days upside down and then mounted them one at a time back on the bike and used a ratchet strap to compress the swing arm in a kind of pumping motion. after you get the ratchet concept down it isn't to bad.

Jamed12

Sonny S.

Quote from: waskier01 on November 18, 2008, 03:38:57 PM
glad we could be of some help. There is a vaccuum method to remove the fluid, but I've never been able to remove all of it this way.  There is the inverted gravity method, but this could take days.  There is the Invert, upright, invert, upright, repeat 800 times method, this is extremely tiring.  So, I've started vaccuuming out as much as I can, and them invert for a few days.  I've done about a dozen sets so far, and on the heavier set-ups, think about the 10 weight.

yeah I bet it is...lol

OK, so get the oil out, ... how were you filling them james ?   10wt fork oil eh' ?   Hmmm, I put Bel Ray 20wt in my front forks...no air..great !!   01 Ultra.

cowboy

I too would like some details on how you get the oil back in , I have a set of air shocks stock HD 03 dresser & need to put some oil in them , I got them used & they had then laying down & oil drained out , I got another pair stored right they work good , but would like to have a good backup pair  Thank's
cowboy 94 softail
AlvinTX

StrokerDave

I found a set new take offs on ebay. hooked up my mityvac brake bleeder to a barbed nipple I installed in the air port, turned the shock upside down and vacumned the fluld out. Measured the amount that came out (I think it was 350 cc) and than turned the shock upright and pulled 20" of vacumn on the shock, pinched the line off and than placed it in my beaker of shock oil and it sucked it into the shock. I used Belray 7 wt shock oil

02roadcling

02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

smoserx1

jamesd12

Sorry for the delay in responses everyone. I only have internet at work. The way i put the oil back in is; first mount the shock (one at a time) on the bike with the air line hole backwards. take a small funnel that you previously siliconed a piece of hose to the end (about 2 inches long) " I used the one I took off my air cleaner" push the other hose end into the air fitting hole (without the fitting in) have someone hold the funnel up. Fill it with a measured amount of oil. then with a ratchet strap wrapped around the swingarm and up and over the seat (make sure you use a heavy folded towel to protect the seat) Ratchet until you get a bubble then realease. When you get the technique down you can get the bubble wthout going all the way to the click on the ratchet, so as soon as you release tension after seeing the bubble it sucks in oil. Only took about 5 minutes per shock after you start putting oil in. I hope that all made sense. BTW the only 7wt I could find was synthetic.
Jamesd12