May 04, 2024, 08:48:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Winter Project and TTS Tuning

Started by hog yild, August 19, 2009, 05:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hog yild

I plan on upgrading my 07 FLHTC 96ci with some 255 cams, oil cooler and changing the exhaust header and mufflers this winter. I already have a SE air cleaner and a custom SERT map. Normal summer riding is in the 90's and sometimes 100's. Winter is in the 50's and 40's. After I have my bike buttoned back up and I'm ready to tune, I can pick a canned map close to my changes, and I can start to Vtune. But I'm wondering how much tuning can I do at these lower temperatures? Does changing the VE tables account for this much variation, or should I plan on Vtuning some now and then wait till the summer months finishing up my tune to finalize the VE tables, AFR tables and Spark Advance tables?
2015 Superior Blue Limited

WVULTRA

Hey Hog!

I feel confident some of the expert tuners here will chime in, but IMO once you get the mods finished I would definitely use the TTS for some initial VTunes to get settings in the ball park for some cooler riding.  Then next summer finish up with a few more VTunes for the hot weather; then a final tuning session with a Qualified Dyno Operator.

I would recommend the PS176 TTS map with the CI reduced to 96".  Has worked very well for my combo.

HTHs!

:beer:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

hog yild

Quote from: WVULTRA on August 19, 2009, 05:52:24 AM
Hey Hog!

I feel confident some of the expert tuners here will chime in, but IMO once you get the mods finished I would definitely use the TTS for some initial VTunes to get settings in the ball park for some cooler riding.  Then next summer finish up with a few more VTunes for the hot weather; then a final tuning session with a Qualified Dyno Operator.

I would recommend the PS176 TTS map with the CI reduced to 96".  Has worked very well for my combo.

HTHs!

:beer:

Hey WVUltra,
The Brembo Brakes upgrade  :up: I've been loving them all year long. I just sign up over here, there seems to be more tech info and less BS. I'm having my SERT upgraded to the TTS and should have that back next week, I got the cams, waiting on some parts from Zanitto's HD. But really don't want to start into it till the riding season slows down. Can you tell me what combo are you running. I was thinking the PS176 map is the best place to start with the 255 cams and like you said bring it down to 96ci. I'm sure I will be tweaking this map a few times till summer. But I don't want to waste efforts in the process.
2015 Superior Blue Limited

WVULTRA

August 19, 2009, 10:46:40 AM #3 Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:04:27 AM by WVULTRA
hog yild:

Yes, this is the premier site for high level tech and low level BS.  Some great people here that really enjoy the technical side of the H-Ds; and it's great to hear your enjoying the Brembo upgrade!  One of my all-time favorite mods!

My combo is in my sig:  Crane 300-2 cams with +4 degree advance on the crank.  Yields results similar to the SE255s in early torque.  And the SE backing plate with Zipper's Max Flow airfilter.  Exhaust is Kuryakyn tru-dual headers with the 4" CVO cans that I modded with the FullSac 1.75" baffles.

Several tuners here are having great success with the PZ176 map; I just had better personal results with the PS176.  But you won't go wrong using either map.  Might try the PZ176 and see how a couple of real good VTune sessions turn out.  Then try the PS176.  Should know real soon if there's an advantage of one over the other.

Good luck, and keep in touch!

:up: :up:

BTW:  A Tuner here, Herko, has great success with the 96"/255 combos.  Great guy to talk to:

http://www.flyingwperformance.com/

'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS