April 27, 2024, 03:58:14 PM

News:

Oil pump question

Started by 04customking, August 20, 2009, 12:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

04customking

I want to change the cast iron pump to the shovelhead aluminum pump. Are there certain years that I should look for? Stay with stock HD or S&S? They plumb up differently don't they?
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

MBSKEAM

why?
is the old pump worn out?

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

04customking

Mike, the thing still sumps and I've tried burnishing the seats and then when that didn't work I tried dressing them. I replaced the balls and springs and it still gets by. I've heard the aluminum ones can be burnished easily if there is a problem. Is my info incorrect?

Pzokes

August 28, 2009, 04:09:57 AM #3 Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 04:42:46 PM by Pzokes
There is a book that I think is called "What Fit's What".  It has the years listed in it.  The years may be 1968-1972, but you'd have to verify it.  It would be tough to find a 40 year old aluminum pump in excellent condition, but I think that the aftermarket is reproducing them.  I have an early S&S pump on one bike.  But, they are made a little different now, and I haven't used a new one.  The shaft length is different on the newer pumps, so you will have to remove the timing cover to install the longer shaft for the newer aluminum pump.

There's miles to go before I sleep.

ricochet

I can't answer the question directly but if you need info about the variations and how to sort what passages do what, etc.  the oil pump instructions in the S & S site does a good job of detailing it.  It's the same instructions that comes with all their pumps.

ricochet

Pzokes

ricochet's idea of getting the instructions off the S&S site is probably the best idea.

04customking

Thanks guys, maybe I'll just play with this one some more. Now that it's running better I'll ride it more and then I won't have to worry about it right?

Pzokes

Yeah, you could either ride it a lot or find an old cafeteria tray to put under it to catch the oil.

xlfan

Do you run an oil filter in your system? If not, it could be contamination causing the leakdown.

xlfan

04customking