May 02, 2024, 04:41:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

124 S&S

Started by -JC-1, August 21, 2009, 03:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-JC-1

Just doin a little daydreamin- can anyone tell me if the S&S 124 crate motor (t series) can be bored for more displacement?
will the cases support a larger bore?
are there any pistons and cylinders available for a larger bore?
TIA
joe
04 FLHT-S&S 124-Baisley-640ez-xxx super g-IST-02-FXST 103 NRA Patron SAF Life

02FYRFTR

If you go for the "Super Sidewinder" cylinder stud pattern no problem going to 4.250" with stretch to 4.375".  Cylinders and pistons are available Axtell, Revolution Performance etc.  Don't recommend stock pattern for over 4.125".

pwmorris

I bored my S&S 124 to a 131 -4.25- even though when I spoke with S&S they said it couldn't/shouldn't be done.
I did not have any problems with the cases.

RevFastEddy

So why get a 124 and bore it out.. Just get a 131 or 145 to start with... If you are starting out it is probably the better investment if you can call it that.... R&R makes them..Ultima....KING of Cubes... Jims...and so on... go as radical as you can afford and it will be right the first time.

Otherwise stay with a 124.. I have one and it is bulletproof so far.. more power than I caan use on the street. 135/125
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach

-JC-1

I've had this 124 for 4 1/2 years, its been sitting on the bench for the last year or so.
I've got an Axtell catalog, don't see the 4 1/4 bore stuff in it, but I did email Ron tonite-
Been the revperf route several years ago with a 107, didn't have any problems with it-
thanks all for your help-
joe

Admiral Akbar

QuoteSo why get a 124 and bore it out..

Cuz it's cheaper?

Joe,

If the motor is a crate, I bet you could boost the performance significantly with some head work / cr / possible inductions mods..
I'd talk to scott a2 hillside or good ol' John Sachs

IIRC all 124 create motors have bigger stud spacing than stock you should be able to hit 4 1/4 bore easy..4 3/8 may be possible but Mr Morris would probably know for sure. I suspect that the rods might be too short.

Max

se

i would choose the S&S over any of those companies first. they have been in business a lot longer then some and they will back the warranty easier if something goes wrong.
plus if PWMorris is using them it has to be top of the shelf because he dont use no junk>>>>>>
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

pwmorris

Quote from: RevFastEddy on August 21, 2009, 06:07:32 PM
So why get a 124 and bore it out.. Just get a 131 or 145 to start with... If you are starting out it is probably the better investment if you can call it that.... R&R makes them..Ultima....KING of Cubes... Jims...and so on... go as radical as you can afford and it will be right the first time.

Otherwise stay with a 124.. I have one and it is bulletproof so far.. more power than I caan use on the street. 135/125

Why bore out a 124"? Because as Max said-it's cheaper...For me it was because I blew up my 124 so I said "why not"?
Don't worry about the catalog-just call Ron or Chaz at Axtell and they will make them for you...
Here's my dyno sheet from my 131" 4.25 bore that I used to own that is currently on Axtells web site-Also I have a testimonial on there-they make top level stuff...
FWIW, I recently blew my motor on my race bike and I'm gonna have them make me some new cylinders for that motor this fall-

I don't believe you can go 4.375 bore on the Standard S&S Sidewinder cases. I run my street bike 4.375 bore using the S&S SA TC cases-much much more beefier with a nice, tall deck height. :wink:

deathwish

for the difference on a street riden motorcycle why bother from 124 to 131 of you already have the parts for the 124. Also remember you are rideing a lot of miles on a street bike (if that is what you are really riding). What do you do if your on your street ride and your 1500 miles from home a break your hodge podge mixture of pieces along the way? Much nicer to have a breathed on crate motor. And do you really want a true race built engine in your street bike? All things you need to consider.You won't bore to 4 3/8" on the stock 124 cases. The 145 is 1.81" taller than a standard Harley engine so you won't put that in your bagger or whatever.

-JC-1

Quote from: MaxHeadflow on August 21, 2009, 06:55:41 PM
QuoteSo why get a 124 and bore it out..

Cuz it's cheaper?

Joe,

If the motor is a crate, I bet you could boost the performance significantly with some head work / cr / possible inductions mods..
I'd talk to scott a2 hillside or good ol' John Sachs

IIRC all 124 create motors have bigger stud spacing than stock you should be able to hit 4 1/4 bore easy..4 3/8 may be possible but Mr Morris would probably know for sure. I suspect that the rods might be too short.

Max
It is a crate motor, and I was thinking about those two guys as well-   :up:

pwmorris

Quote from: deathwish on August 22, 2009, 06:44:16 AM
for the difference on a street riden motorcycle why bother from 124 to 131 of you already have the parts for the 124. Also remember you are rideing a lot of miles on a street bike (if that is what you are really riding). What do you do if your on your street ride and your 1500 miles from home a break your hodge podge mixture of pieces along the way? Much nicer to have a breathed on crate motor. And do you really want a true race built engine in your street bike? All things you need to consider.You won't bore to 4 3/8" on the stock 124 cases. The 145 is 1.81" taller than a standard Harley engine so you won't put that in your bagger or whatever.

Agreed-
If you don't know how to build or have a builder who knows how to match parts correctly on these big boys you could have reliability issues.
You probably don't need a monster hp motor on the street that may run hot, have starting issues, etc. I was pointing out that it can be done and has worked well for me. That 131" that I had was a street/strip bike that only was ridden are town locally.
Your 124" can do just fine. Heads are where the power is and depending on your budget, you can get a guy like Scott at Hillside, Sachs, Baisley, Allstaedt (Where I have a set my heads now) to really improve them.