April 30, 2024, 04:09:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1950 EL

Started by fltcu, August 22, 2009, 06:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fltcu

what can any one tell me about a 1950 EL ?
i can't find any pic's are info on it but it was built in 1950 an the EL is a 61" motor
any help are pic's of what it started out like would be nice
thanks
rider like you stoled it

Pzokes

Probably your best information would be to buy Bruce Palmer's restoration book.  In the book there are pictures of a 50 FL and all the parts.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

BART

I currently have a 50FL.  Previously I had a 50EL quite a few years ago.  The EL seemed a little smoother than the FL.  Either engine has adequate power for the motorcycle.  There's a wealth of information available on this Pan Head site.  Also there are several manuals available and numerous sources for parts for the old bike.  If you google Harley 1950 EL you'll find several sites and photos. 

BART

Ultrashovel

August 24, 2009, 07:00:55 PM #3 Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:06:31 PM by Ultrashovel
1950 EL's' had the hydraulic lifters in the tops of the pushrods the same as the 1948's when they first came out. The MoCo changed to lifters in the blocks in 1953 IIRC. The problem with the lifter up top was that when the engine got really hot, the lifters would usually starve and tended to click. Many would just remove the little springs and add a ball bearing to each lifter to make solid lifters. They would still click but more consistently. LOL

I had a 1950 FL that was a nice bike but I had a constant lifter noise that was seemingly incurable. Probably nowadays, I'd get a set of later model lifter blocks and modify to a top oiler like the later Pans and Shovelheads.

Cylinder bore on the EL's was 3-5/16" with a stroke of 3-1/2" versus 3-7/`16" bore and 3-31/32" stroke in the FL's. The EL used the same stepped crankpin as the early flathead 74's and 80's. That is, the taper where the pin enters the flywheels is smaler than the nominal diameter where the connecting rods ride.

You could always tell a 61" engine from a 74" by looking at the fins below the manifold nuts. They were smaller and less prominent than the 74" at that point. Knuckleheads were likewise different in that regard. The cylinder bases were noticeably smaller to the trained eye as well.

The 61" engine was usually smoother than the 74" and not all that much slower. I had a 1947 61" and also a 1946 FL and I much preferred the 61". They were just a nice rider with a lot less vibration.

The EL's were just a lovely bike. I wish I still had one. Other than the bore and stroke, I don't recall any other differences.

panz4ever

What they all said plus....shorter cylinders which means the manifold is only 3-1/4 inches (we used stroker plates back when; now they make piston with offset piston pins to male up the difference and get you to 74 from 61). Different cam and different carb as well. And if you have the hydraulics on top  convert to solids. Oil does not like to pump to the top of motors especially on cold morning

Ultrashovel

Quote from: panz4ever on August 25, 2009, 11:38:27 PM
What they all said plus....shorter cylinders which means the manifold is only 3-1/4 inches (we used stroker plates back when; now they make piston with offset piston pins to male up the difference and get you to 74 from 61). Different cam and different carb as well. And if you have the hydraulics on top  convert to solids. Oil does not like to pump to the top of motors especially on cold morning

You could be right about the cam and carburetor being different on the 61 versus the 74 but I worked on many of them and never saw a difference in that regard. Were there different part numbers for those items?

I once converted a 61 to a 74 and the cams looked the same to me. The carburetors were mostly 1-1/2" Linkerts and occasionally you would see a Schebler.

Just curious.

panz4ever

25523-48  Cam Gear (48 to 57 - 74" OHV)

25524-48  Cam Gear (48 to 52 - 61" OHV and also used on Special 61" cam for FLE and FLEF)

Camshaft diameter, length, width, gear teeth and gear diameter were the same; 74" had a cam lobe height of 1.328 inches, 61" was 1.328 inches

From 49-50 MoCo went through 6 different models of carbs all, like you say, 1-1/2 Linkert M series. Late 50 they came out with the M-74 and finally the M74B which they kept until 65.

Only know this because I am working on putting my 49EL back together and have done a lot of looking and reading in order to try to make it correct

Ultrashovel

Quote from: panz4ever on August 31, 2009, 08:57:59 AM
25523-48  Cam Gear (48 to 57 - 74" OHV)

25524-48  Cam Gear (48 to 52 - 61" OHV and also used on Special 61" cam for FLE and FLEF)

Camshaft diameter, length, width, gear teeth and gear diameter were the same; 74" had a cam lobe height of 1.328 inches, 61" was 1.328 inches

From 49-50 MoCo went through 6 different models of carbs all, like you say, 1-1/2 Linkert M series. Late 50 they came out with the M-74 and finally the M74B which they kept until 65.

Only know this because I am working on putting my 49EL back together and have done a lot of looking and reading in order to try to make it correct

Sounds interesting. It appears from your numbers that the 61" and 74" had the same cam lobe height.

Also, IIRC, there was a special cam available for the Panheads. It was called the Harley High-Lift but I don't have a part number. I put one in my 1950FL.

panz4ever

What I think you are referring to is the "Victory" high-performance cam that came out in 56 (#25523-56).

panz4ever

Damn, don't know if we can edit so I will add another reply...When I read your post about cam lobe height I went and looked at my thread. My error...cam lobe height for a 61 is 1.328; cam lobe height for the 48 to 69 std and 55 FLH is 1.334; cam lobe height for 53 FLE and 56-69 models is 1.342 (and for the latter cam lobe width changed as well)

Ultrashovel

Quote from: panz4ever on August 31, 2009, 01:23:44 PM
Damn, don't know if we can edit so I will add another reply...When I read your post about cam lobe height I went and looked at my thread. My error...cam lobe height for a 61 is 1.328; cam lobe height for the 48 to 69 std and 55 FLH is 1.334; cam lobe height for 53 FLE and 56-69 models is 1.342 (and for the latter cam lobe width changed as well)

There you go. I guessed that there would be some difference. Thanks for the information.

:up: