May 09, 2024, 12:51:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1200 mods

Started by jazzman713, August 22, 2009, 06:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazzman713

im getting ready to have the heads cleaned up on my bike with a good tune up this is a every day bike to work 120 miles round trip i have a pro pipe s/e ac rest is stock .i was thinking that now is the time to put in cams but have been told that i should be fine with out them i have for the most part always had a stock bike i was looking at the n8 andrews. about how long would it take someone who knows what they are doing to put in just the cams? thanks

mayor

I would think a skilled mechanic could change sporty cams in about 4-5 hours or so (probably less if they had done the work before). There really isn't much to it on the sporties since they're gear drive.  If you're pulling your heads off to have work done to them and you're planning on changing out your cams at some point, it will save a good bit of time to do it all at the same time since many of the items that need to be removed to pull the heads are the same items that need pulled to do the cams.   I think changing out cams may only take an extra hour or two at the most with an engine that already has the heads pulled . 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

PC_Hater

New cams will change the way the bike feels, in general you don't want to change the cams. Not unless you really do want to change the nature of the beast.
Have a look at NRHS.
http://www.nrhsperformance.com/ekitsportster04.shtml
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S