May 04, 2024, 11:52:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TTS speedo cal

Started by happyman, August 25, 2009, 06:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyman

in the speedo cal,  in order to make the  speedo slow down about 3 mph. do we use a larger or  smaller cal. number?? also about how much movement  in the numbers to move  the speedo 1 mph?
Thanks
Happy

Hogflash

Quote from: happyman on August 25, 2009, 06:01:29 PM
in the speedo cal,  in order to make the  speedo slow down about 3 mph. do we use a larger or  smaller cal. number?? also about how much movement  in the numbers to move  the speedo 1 mph?
Thanks
Happy

The info is in the tuning quide FAQ section, page 77:
Q:  My speedometer reading is off.  How much do I adjust this?
A:  You make this adjustment when programming the ECM when the Vss dialog is presented.  If  you know how much the reading is off, you can make the adjustment as follows:

Vss(new) = Vss(old) x Speed(reading) / speed(actual)

You can also use the Vss calculator or actually measure the tire rollout as detailed in the on-line help file. 

Note: Increasing the Vss value Decreases the speedometer reading (and vice-versa).

Basically, you change the Vss by the same percentage you want to change the speed reading by.  Increasing the Vss number makes the speedo read lower.

--Gary

happyman

ok,  so if i am off by 3 mph, will need to reduce the number by 3%?
thanks     
Happy

yositime

if you were off 3 mph at 100 mph, yes, but if you are off 3 mph at 60 mph, that is more like 3/60 or 5%

FLTRI

I think this is correct:
desired change in mph divided by speedo reading = % change required
@ speedo reads 60 mph and you want to change 3 mph. That equals 5% change.
@ speedo reads 30 mph and you want to change 3 mph. That equals 10% change
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

HarleyFranco

Happyman,

It's not going to take much to change the speedo, I'm still trying to get mine perfect and I have been lowering the numbers by 2 to get close.  Example 2220 is what the calculator said, and I'm at 2228 right now and probably need to go to 2226 to get where I want.

Frank

happyman

thanks to all.   i have to figure out all of how to hook the  laptop up and  what to do then too.
i also have the  3:15 gear and  at  60 mph i am bouncing on 62-63 so i guess about 2.5 mph or so  the speedo reads fast compared to the  GPS.  not a big  deal but  if we can make them accurate why not.
will get to trying it here one day soon   i understand i need to get my currant map on the screen and hook things up and  find the speedo cal. and look at the mumbers and move them around  and  take it out to see. 

Eleft36

Open smart-link click on HELP and open manual,  :rtfb: requires reading
103" SE BB Andrews 26H's 2010 110" mufflers
Ride every chance I get, above 36*f

Steve Cole

One thing you all need to understand is that the speedo will change as the rear tire wears. So it will only be perfect under the conditions you set it for. So if your riding double up with 30 psi tire pressure and adjust it in perfect, when your single up it may well be off some again as the tire diameter has changed. I would take this in to account if your having to deal with variations in your riding conditions.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

happyman

Quote from: Eleft36 on August 26, 2009, 02:02:00 PM
Open smart-link click on HELP and open manual,  :rtfb: requires reading

some of us are not as savy as others even when the reading part has been done.  need the actual hands on and hate to screw up something, trying.