REPRINT TOPIC FROM OLD HTT: HIPPO FUEL INJECTION QUESTION 04-27-06

Started by ClassicRider2002, November 19, 2008, 09:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

November 19, 2008, 09:43:45 AM Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 03:23:13 PM by ClassicRider2002
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRINT TOPIC FROM "OLD" HTT

I have saved many great topical discussions as "links" over the years and would hate to see these lost, so I am reprinting this TOPIC here, which may "perhaps" help some.

TOPIC:  HIPPO FUEL INJECTION QUESTION  04-27-06

From: Big-Red  (Original Message) Sent: 4/27/2006 8:31 PM

I have an 01 Ultra with the marelli fuel injection.  For the past year I have been having problems starting it when it gets hot.  It cranks over, just doesn't start.  Everything else works when this happens.  Once it cools down, it will usually start.  I've had it to many a shops and cannot find the problem. 
Any help is appreciated.  I might just check into seeing if I can take the FI off and put carbs on.
Thanks,

Red
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

If all the basics are fine, ie compression, fuel pressure when it fails to start, etc, then I might go thru all the idle adjustments including checking the TPS voltages first.

The coils don't go on these very often but it might be worth a try to substitute it and the wires if above checks OK.

Also lately I have seen some bikes of that vintage with weak crank sensors, they usally don't follow temperature, they just don't start when they don't feel like it.

The temp sensors usually cause cold starting problems, but you never know.
If all above checks try to determine wether it doesn't start because it gets not enough or too much fuel
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2