REPRINT FROM OLD HTT: Ignition Switch On EFI Models-do you wait for light?

Started by ClassicRider2002, November 19, 2008, 10:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRINT TOPIC FROM "OLD" HTT

I have saved many great topical discussions as "links" over the years and would hate to see these lost, so I am reprinting this TOPIC here, which may "perhaps" help some.

TOPIC: Ignition Switch On EFI Models-do you wait for light?

From: JohnS_Rosamond_CA   (Original Message) Sent: 5/28/2007 10:39 PM
Okay, enquiring minds wanna know.  Dealers tell people with EFi bike to turn on the ignition and wait 'till the little engine light goes out before you start the bike.  I suppose that you're waiting for the fuel pressure to build and for the computer to do a little self diagnostic.  My father recently bought a 2005 EFi bike and I told him to wait for the light to go out.  Do the rest of you wait or am I talking trash?    John S
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

From: Calgary56 Sent: 5/28/2007 10:50 PM                                                    Message 2 of 17 in Discussion
most times I don't, just turn the ignition and flash it up, .... I haven't had any issues with my engine, ..... and I've got 105,400 Km in 23 months.

From: Mackdog Sent: 5/28/2007 10:55 PM                                                     Message 3 of 17 in Discussion
This issue has been raised here before John.  It seems to me there is a reason but I can't recall what it is.  The manufacturer suggests it so I do it on mine.  A couple times I have hit it early before it went out and it all seemed ok.  You will get a lot of opinions on this one and not settle a thing lol.  MD

From: icu812pal Sent: 5/28/2007 11:28 PM                                                    Message 4 of 17 in Discussion
I believe the ECM resets itself to the TPS each time you turn your ign. on in case of any mechanical wear in the throttle stop it will look for a new "0"every time, so I think waiting is practical and leaving the throttle alone is a good idea, how else would the ECM "0" sync to an ever changing mechanical stop for the TPS...... makes sense to me .
p.al

From: MaineUltraClassic Sent: 5/29/2007 4:21 AM                                           Message 5 of 17 in Discussion
I wait for the light to go out every time, it allows the ECM to calibrate and check out the sensors and also allows the fuel pump to pressurize the system.  Steve

From: wsmallri1 Sent: 5/29/2007 4:26 AM                                                      Message 6 of 17 in Discussion
The only issue I have had is if I start the bike before the lights go out is that the speedometer will not read accurately. It generally would not read over 40mph if the bike was started quickly, before the lights went out. Have a couple of friends who have experienced same thing, so it's not just me. A quick stop, restart, after lights go out, and speedo works fine. Aside from speedo not reading correctly, bike ran fine.

From: trück Sent: 5/29/2007 6:20 AM                                                           Message 7 of 17 in Discussion
Message #6 has been my experience too.

From: RK103 Sent: 5/29/2007 6:45 AM                                                          Message 8 of 17 in Discussion
Same here. I turn on the ignition and watch the speeo, after the needle does a little bobble it's good to go. Start it before that and the speedo reads way low.  ED

From: chaos901 Sent: 5/29/2007 7:04 AM                                                     Message 9 of 17 in Discussion
I have two EFI bikes, a 2002 EG with 56,000 miles and a 2007 7 EG with 12,500 miles, typically I do not wait for the light and have not had any problems; that I am aware of.  Since I have been reading these sites I must admit that I have tried to make a concious effort to wait the few seconds, but still do not make it most times. 

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

From: onehawghead Sent: 5/29/2007 2:45 PM                                                         Message 10 of 17 in Discussion
If memory is correct, in 2001 or 2002 Harley brought out a service bulletin stating it wasn't necessary to wait for the light to go out. Think it was brought out in response to the injected police bikes.

From: Faast Ed  Sent: 5/29/2007 2:53 PM                                                               Message 11 of 17 in Discussion
When I bought mine in 04, the Dealer told me that I was supposed to wait for the light. The few times that I forgot to wait, I never noticed any problems,... but it costs me nothing to wait. Not like it's a long wait.

Sent: 5/29/2007 2:58 PM                                                                                    Message 12 of 17 in Discussion
This message has been deleted due to termination of membership.

From: Hdjax2 Sent: 5/29/2007 3:13 PM                                                                 Message 13 of 17 in Discussion   
I have a little routine that works for me. I turn on the ignition and make sure the run switch is on before I swing a leg over. By the time I get settled in and the bike stood upright  its time to hit the start button.

From: phu cat Sent: 5/29/2007 3:25 PM                                                               Message 14 of 17 in Discussion
I used to wait for the lite to go out, but read here that it's not necessary.  For the last year I haven't been waiting and don't see any repercussions.  PC

From: cyrus Sent: 5/30/2007 5:04 AM                                                                  Message 15 of 17 in Discussion
I start mine before the fuel pumps stops before the light goes out. Seems to start faster? I may wait and le the ECM do a self check once a week. I do wait after starting for the idle to settle down before riding away or it will stay a bit high.

From: 77S-Glide Sent: 5/30/2007 7:14 AM                                                                Message 16 of 17 in Discussion
it's not necessary to wait and #10 was right, if the cops had to wait for that stupid ass light to go out they'd never catch anyone. the dealer told me the same thing ref. my 05 and 06 carb. bikes.  do most people wait for the "check engine light" to go out on your cars/trucks before you start them? HELL NO!! lol the dealers also tell you to change the oil at 2,500 miles but the owners manual says 5K after the 1K change/checkup....go figure.   Dick

From: TwinCamRon Sent: 5/30/2007 8:05 AM                                                            Message 17 of 17 in Discussion
Always wait fo rthe light to go out.  Here is another related issue.  Always use your kill switch.  If you don't use your kill switch then when you turn on the ignition switch all the the current load jumps across the switch contacts.  If you use your kill switch then initially you turn on the lights but not the fuel pump.  When you turn on the kill switch you pick up the fuel pump and ecm.  This divides the load for that initial current jump across the contacts. ron

Anything added beyond this point is new information.

Regards,

"Classic"

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2