April 27, 2024, 01:59:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

95 sporty cam covers

Started by $hiner, August 26, 2009, 04:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

$hiner

I have oil leak from cam cover, got all hard ware loosened up
and cover still doesn't want to come off. It was off one other
time when cams were installed and I don't rememeber having
this much trouble.

andyxlh

Hello mate
have you opened the nose cone and removed the sensor and rotor from the electronic ignition? it is screwed into the end of rear inlet cam and attaches this cam to the cover if it is not removed.
there is a cam cover puller which is not too expensive and will pull the cover by attaching to the nose cone screw holes and pushing against the no.2 cam. This one is listed on ebay for ironheads but will fit all BT and Sporties (see description):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Sportster-Timing-cover-puller-fits-all-71-85_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem56346f3db8QQitemZ370246892984QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Have you removed the pushrods and lifters? I know those late models don't have removable lifter blocks, but the pressure from the pushrods on the cams will make it difficult to remove, and not possible or a good idea without removing the pushrods at least I would imagine.
Are you sure that the leak is from the cam cover? leaks from the oil pump or the mount for the oil filter or pushrod seals can look like a leak from the cam cover, and all of them are easier to replace!
cheers
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

$hiner

Ignition is out of the bike, I was trying to avoid removing
push rods n lifters. I think I have no other options. The leak
is from the the base of the cover. I am also replacing
all the oil lines.

andyxlh

Hello mate
My sporty is an '89 and has diffeent cases, but I think if you take the pressure off the push rods by removing the rockers you might be able to remove the cover without taking the rods and the lifters out. you would need to remove the top 2 rocker box covers and turn the engine over to get to TDC on the cylinder and then push out the rocker shaft after removing the 2 1/2" bolts that hold the end of the shafts in. With the pressure off the lifters the cam case should be able to be slid off without disturbing the cams and the lifters I would think. If not you will have to pull the lifters and rods, but as I remember the late model engines have the one piece pushrod tubes which are a pain as you have to take the rocker box lowers off. Not sure how you remove the lifters in those 5 speeds either as they are different setup to mine.
cheers
a
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Blockhead80

It looks as if you will need to pull all 3 parts of the rocker box off to pull the pushrod tubes, then pull the anti-rotation pins and then the lifters, then the cam cover, you already have the ignition out.

Book on ebay covers it very well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H-D-1995-1996-XL-Service-Manual-99484-96_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem562de8b555QQitemZ370137412949QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature