May 09, 2024, 03:19:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1969 Big-Twin Frame....

Started by ModelABob, August 27, 2009, 08:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModelABob

How do you ID a 1969 Big-Twin frame?  I've been around H-D's for a few years so I can tell the difference in the various
types of frames.  But how do you pin-point the exact year (1969) of a frame?  Is there a date/code/confidential number
somewhere on the frame?  Did the '69 Big-Twin frame have just a hole for a padlock and not the built fork lock like earlier
frames?  Any info. will be greatly appreciated!  :smiled:

AMF/Ride & Shoot Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

Speeding Big Twin

The seller of the first frame pictured below said it was 1969 but had a date code of G 8 which means it was manufactured in July 1968. For Shovelhead frames the date code was usually stamped on the top engine mount, sometimes on the right-hand side and sometimes on the left.

I also have other photos of that frame and from what I can see it does appear to be 69. All Panhead frames and all 1966â€"68 Shovelhead frames had a steering head lock. And it seems that some late-68 frames had an undrilled padlock boss. The 69 Shovel frame did not have a steering head lock but the unmachined boss for it was present as we see in the photo. Also shown in the photo is the drilled padlock boss. Shovel frames 1970-later usually had a VIN boss (obviously stamped). But it's possible some 1969 Shovel frames had an unstamped (blank) VIN boss. Anyway, a genuine H-D Shovel frame with an unmachined steering head lock boss but no VIN boss should be 69.

However, it pays to check further. Some things on 70â€"72 H-D Shovel frames are similar to 69 although 70â€"72 frames usually have a stamped VIN boss as already noted. But sometimes the VIN boss isn’t present on a 70â€"72 frame for one reason or another and in that case one thing to look at is the opening in the top engine mount. Notice the shape of the opening in the 69 top mount:

The next photo shows the opening in the top mount has changed slightly and is an elongated hole. And although the photo is of the mount on my 1982 frame the change to the opening was apparently introduced for 1970:

Some 1960s frames had extra ID stamped on the left side of the steering head and that may consist of a small capital letter followed by either three or four small numeric characters. H-D has officially referred to these characters as Additional Original Component Identifying Numbers. My third photo shows B5 as the first two of five such characters on a 1963 Panhead frame and will give you an idea where to look. But for a 69 frame, the letter may be J, K or L. However, I can’t be sure about any of those three letters because H-D politely refused several times to confirm them for me. Even the H-D legal department politely declined my requests for very general info in this area. But if you notify H-D of all the four or five characters on a specific frame and/or other relevant parts they may be able to confirm the ID of said frame and/or parts, although they will only provide a yes or no answer. I can give you the necessary contact details for H-D if you need them.     Eric

ModelABob

Eric,

Wow, dude!  Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.  And yes if you would send me a PM on the Harley contact info, that
would be appreciated too.  Thanks again. :smiled:

AMF/Ride & Shoot Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

Speeding Big Twin

You're welcome, Bob. And I've sent you a PM.     Eric

Speeding Big Twin

Bob, I’m in a thread on the H-G forum and trying to sort out a BT frame which has two forms of stamped-on ID indicating it’s a 66 or 67 model. But the casting number on the left side lower rear casting has me intrigued.

Can you please check your 65 Pan frame and tell me what casting number it has on the left lower rear casting. Thanks.     Eric