April 27, 2024, 02:00:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2000 Roadking transmission side door gasket

Started by 00FHHRCI, November 19, 2008, 11:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

00FHHRCI

November 19, 2008, 11:10:46 AM Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:13:58 AM by 00FHHRCI
Greetings,
I went out to the bike today and had a puddle of oil underneath the bike.  It looked like it was coming from the side door gasket on the transmission.  The bolts are loose on the side door.  Looks like I've got two options.  One is to pull the exhaust and oil filler spout and re torque the bolts.  The other is to replace the side door gasket.  In order to do this, it looks like I'll have to pull the exhaust, oil filler spout, and clutch release cover off.  Is it possible to replace the side door gasket by pulling the oil slinger off, the mainshaft locknut and the countershaft locknut then removing the side door?  Or do I have to pull the primary side items out, the top transmission cover, the shifter cam assembly in order to pull the side door out with the shafts still attached?  Has anyone just took the shaft locknuts off and been able to remove the side door?

Thanks

James

bouncingVman

It's up to you... but I would start with your first option and tighten the bolts and then see what happens. I had a similar leak and I went that route... so far so good.
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

00FHHRCI

Greetings,
Thanks for the response.  I got it back together except for the exhaust.  I decided to just tighten the side door to specs and see if it stops leaking.  It looks like to replace the gasket, I'll have to pull everything out of the transmission.

James

Ratfade

From a tip I got here, it's actually possible to tighten/remove those bolts without pulling the exhaust. You can loosen the header bolts and "gently" move the exhaust enough to gain access to the bolts.

ederdelyi

If you end up having to replace the gasket on the trapdoor there is a special puller available that will allow you to pull the trapdoor and leaves the shafts in the tranny. It will require new bearings for the trapdoor end of the shafts ... but that's a lot less painful than the alternative!

IIRC, JIMS makes the tool as well as others. I've used mine more than a few times ... works good.

00FHHRCI

Thanks so much for the info!!!  My local Harley dealer hadn't even heard of this puller.  I found one available at George's garage part number 620210.  This says its a puller and installer of the trap door bearings.  Is this the only tool that I need?  How exactly does it work?

Thanks again,

James

ederdelyi

I'm not familiar with the George's Garage tool. But if it works like the JIMS tool (as George's tools usually do) then you can get the instruction sheet for the JIMS tool from their website. Look for the download for the JIMS No. 1078 tool ... should be 1078-IS.

It's really pretty simple. As previously stated, you MUST replace the trap door bearings when you use this tool.

hazbil

Most times you do not need a trapdoor puller you can pull the door out a little, remove the shaft nuts hit the shafts with a lead hammer and most times the shafts will come out of the bearing very easy.

00FHHRCI

Thanks to all for the input!!!
I looked at the instructions from Jim's tools.  I called George's garage and George answered the phone!  He said that his tools have a lifetime warranty.  Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one.  He said that this tool would take the side door off and take the bearings out, then install the new bearings.  The bearings, gaskets, retaining rings come to about $50.00 at my local Harley dealer.  The tool was $123 including shipping.  Total cost approx $173.  The total cost is not to bad considering I'm footing the labor bill and time saved of not taking the primary all apart and the special tools needed to do that.  All this just to replace a $7.00 gasket but I'll have a new gasket in place and no leaking transmission!!!

James

havenolife

Man you don't need none of them tools I have replaced my wife's '96 heritage and my Friends '02 king with no special tools when you pull trap door off comes off ez clutch cable and bearings stay in cover very ez also put cheap white brothers ez lite clutch kit in it I think $25.00 dollars for it a must do you are already there 
Harley Davidson making mechanices out of riders since 1903