April 28, 2024, 03:58:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

prestolite starter options

Started by saltcaveminer, August 27, 2009, 12:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltcaveminer

i need to replace the starter on my 73.the needle bearing in the housing broke and took the starter motor gear with it.(great a nine dollar bearing kills a $100+ starter)the engine is stock and i was wondering if there has been any reported problems with the reproduction style units.prices vary from $95 to $189.i can replace the armature in the prestolite unit but that's $85.also does anybody have a part #for the starter cover end bushing?thanks Salty

Lew

I've not heard of any problems with the reproduction units.
I believe the end housing bushing is not available...??    The number for the housing is 31536-66.  Hope this helps.

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

saltcaveminer

thanks for the reply.jp cycles sells a kit that includes the bushing but i don't need the other parts.i probably will buy the cheap starter and see how it works.in the future i will try to find a source for the bushing.if anything is to be learned from my ironhead experiences one thing stands out"Al WAYS REPLACE ALL NEEDLE ROLLER BEARINGS DURING A REBUILD".i have seen TOO many bearings ready to implode and still roll.i have also seen cam needle bearings that don't roll anymore and still PERFORM.

Lew

Your unhappy experience should be a valuable lesson to all.  I too have found those small needle bearings destroyed.  Once there was no trace of any of them...just some metal dust!!  Good luck!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-