April 28, 2024, 01:48:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

I need new skins

Started by CndUltra88, November 19, 2008, 12:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CndUltra88

November 19, 2008, 12:24:44 PM Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:51:41 PM by CndUltra88
 I'm looking for some input on new rubber front and rear for the 02 Ultra.
I know it is a hottly debated topic, but with cost and wear/tear/durability being one of the deciding factors.
I'm not looking for the cheap[est sellimg tire right now, just what will maybe last a bit longer than the
Dunlop 402's.
I was thinking on the Elite 3 or that new tire that has a differant rubber compound down the center for longer wear.
I live on the WestCoast north of Seattle , and our weather patterns are very similar, so has anyone tried or recommend the Elite3???

Thanks Much,
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

hawgout

I've had the Metzlers and the Avons...And I can tell you the E3 is the best of the bunch, you won't regret it. Just my 2 cents...

Tomahawk

I run Dunlops, higher mileage per tire, however I changed to Avons, cheaper but less mileage. I like the Avons as they are softer and hold the road better.
I live in similiar weather conditions as Seattle and we pretty much ride year round on Vancouver Island west coast Canada. Depends on your budget and the amount of miles your ride in a given year. Dunlops rear I get about 18000kms and fronts I'll get 36000kms. I also went to a fatboy rear rim to run tubless on the rear. :beer:

bob2002

I have 13,000 plus miles on my E3'S no doubt in whats going back on in the spring.
2012 Ultra Limited,Cobra Power Port Header,SE Mufflers,Wood 222 Cams,TTS

Faast Ed

I liked the E3 that I ran on my last bike. Comes with more tread to begin with (helped it last longer) and handled well for me.

When my stock tires wear out, E3's are going on this bike.
≡Faast Ed>

retyddone

I have 15,000 mi on the E3 on the back. Looks like there is about 3 or 4 thousand miles left in there.
Work better than the Metzler I had on the last bike. Work very well in the wet.

Tuna
Tuna
When you turn on your bike
Does it return the favor

CndUltra88

Tomahawk, Im on the other side of the Georgia Straight, close to YVR and glad to hear someone rides year round here in BC.
Looks like the E3s win out.
I'll be talking to one of the dealers in the next few days.
Thanks again for the info guys and gals.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street

longshooter

The only concern I recall, from the old site, regarding the Elite 3 tire is its lower load capacity compared to the 402. Probably not an issue unlesss you do a lot of two-up, heavy loaded touring. You should be able to compare specs of the two and determine exactly how much less it is and whether it would affect your riding style.

Longshooter
STUPID PEOPLE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

sandrooney

E3's are all I will use. Got 14,000 out of my last one's, and handle great no tar snake wobble, or grooved pavement wobble. I ride 2 up and packed down most of the time.
Just my experience,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

02roadcling

Hi Cnd,

Another vote for E3 here. The only tire I never heard of that someone didn't want another set. That says it all. Besides you want to be able to at least stay behind me within sight right? Heh LOL

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

blk-betty

Anyone know if the E-3 come in wide white wall or if there are plans to offer them in white walls in the near future?

Gotta replace the stocks on wife's Deluxe and she loves her white walls.  Was considering pulling the trigger on a set of Avon Venoms since the last time I looked into the E-3s they were only available in blackwall.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

twincamzz

Quote from: longshooter on November 19, 2008, 08:41:23 PM
The only concern I recall, from the old site, regarding the Elite 3 tire is its lower load capacity compared to the 402. Probably not an issue unlesss you do a lot of two-up, heavy loaded touring. You should be able to compare specs of the two and determine exactly how much less it is and whether it would affect your riding style.

Longshooter

Just checked Dunlops' site & from what I see both the D402 & E3 have the same weight rating. 827 lbs @ 40psi.

I'm just sayin ' ...
not all who wander are lost...

L-

You can't have it all.  I like the MU85 Dunlop on the rear for the extra weight carrying, stability, handling and I don't get anywhere near the mileage others get but it sticks pretty damn good. 

hrlydv

I've been running the Elite 3's since they came out and really like them. I run the MU90 on the rear of my Roadglide and get over 20,000 miles front and rear. They handle good in wet and even snow and are very smooth. I think you'll like them.
Let's go RIDING!

CndUltra88

November 20, 2008, 08:54:05 AM #14 Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:06:02 AM by CndUltra88
Quote from: 02roadcling on November 20, 2008, 05:33:39 AM
Hi Cnd,

Another vote for E3 here. The only tire I never heard of that someone didn't want another set. That says it all. Besides you want to be able to at least stay behind me within sight right? Heh LOL

cling
Lead Follow or Get The Hell Outta My WAY Steve !!!
Depends if your exhaust is hanging from the side of your bike will depend on who is keeping up to who I would think.
I see more variables have been added to my selection now.
Tar Snakes are a biotch right now when the road is wet , so the bike has been put away until the weather warms up some and with mid 40's to mid 50's it has been tempting, hence my skins request.
Thanks to all .
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street

apes

I wrote to Dunlop and they replied that E3s do not come in White Sidewalls and there are no plans to do so....not even the skinny white stripes....  bought then anyway

RainDodger

I'm in Snohomish, just south of you. Got E3s on an Ultra. I like them a lot. Last summer I picked up some kind of major nail or something in the rear, at 75 mph on I-90. Lost all the air in about 5 or 6 seconds. The sidewalls are pretty stiff on the E3s and I'm mighty glad they are. Got the bike stopped ok with no air left in the rear. The tire wasn't torn up by the rim either. I'm sticking with E3s. No problems 2-up with a full load of bags either.

02roadcling

02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

WideBoy04

Galatians 2:20