May 02, 2024, 01:07:40 AM

News:

NGK spark plugs

Started by Alvin, November 19, 2008, 04:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvin

My local indy would like me to try NGK plugs in my 88 twincam---motor is stock--except K&N Filter and V&h pipes.  Says that he likes them better than the stock Harley plugs.  Any thoughts from the group?  Any other brands that you like better? :teeth:

scoopfraser

I've been running the DCPR9E (2 steps colder) for quite a while now.  I've never had any issues with them although I never had any issues the HD plugs or Champions either.

Sean
----

2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

marc

I use them...Never had a problem...

blk-betty

I use them as well.  Stage 1, otherwise stock 88" and I use the DCPR8E, one heat range cooler than the OEM plugs.  However, i too never had any problems with the OEMs.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

FATMAN

I run the NGK's as well, they're good plugs.  I have had problems with Champions giving an intermittent miss.
More to the picture than meets the eye.

L-

I run NGK and Autolite.  Like them both equally.  DCPR9E two steps colder and the DCPR7E works great for a stocke OEM replacement  .... forgot the Autolite numnber, Mike?

hrlydv

With plugs other than stock, remember to loctite the screw-on cap on because it will come loose then you will have an engine miss or your engine light will come on.
Let's go RIDING!

FATMAN

HRLYDV,  that's a good point with the Loctite.  I always snugged them up lightly with a pair of pliers taking care not to crack the porcelain.  Drag racing days I ran Autolites as L has suggested.  Never had any luck with Champions then either.  Are you still an active Ride instructor?
More to the picture than meets the eye.

FSG

Quote from: hrlydv on November 20, 2008, 08:05:48 AM
With plugs other than stock, remember to loctite the screw-on cap on because it will come loose then you will have an engine miss or your engine light will come on.

OR

munge the thread a little with a pair of pliers and screw the cap back on

hd06myway

NGK are excellent plugs, I've run them and currently I'm running AutoLites.  Can't say I've ever had a problem with any plug I've used over the past 30 yrs with a properly tuned Harley.

crow

While I have to agree the stock plugs are fine there are times you might want a colder plug. That
is where NGK's are my choice. I have used then for over 30 years with out a problem. I also agree on
buggering up the tip threads then tighten the cap back on.

Knees in the Breeze is all I need........:)